Jazz Music Thread

Clive, when I say “normal” I mean that they aren’t the £30-50 that some of the high priced premium imports cost such as AP, Music Matters etc…

I think I paid just over £60 for the three LPs, and one of them is a double album.

FWIW, I’m told that the 80th issues aim to improve on some of the criticisms of the 75th Anniversary series.

That sounds a good price. Yesterday the single albums I saw were typically £25, but that could have been the shop trying to stretch the margin, of course.

Reading the reviews; the 75th anniversary issues are not very good.

But reviews of the BN80 reissues are excellent : D

Just ordered all three from Amazon for £66.55 + free postage

Herbie Hancock - Takin’ off
Dexter Gordon - Doin’ Alright
Robert Glasper - Canvas (double vinyl album)

Thanks, Richard for the Heads Up!

4 Likes

The BN80 reissues are great, AAA remastering, plating at RTI. Their pressed at Optimal and have rather cheap sleeves to keep cost down.

Even better but more costly are the Tone Poet series which are very similar to the Music Matters re issues.

Both series mastered by Kevin Gray at Coherent.

I have all the titles on both series so far and the pressing and SQ is superb with a slight caveat regarding Gil Evans Old Bottle New Wine

http://www.bluenote.com/news/blue-note-presents-the-tone-poet-series

http://www.bluenote.com/news/presenting-blue-note-80-vinyl-reissue-series

There is also two excellent threads on the above over on Steve Hoffman, with Joe Harley contributing to the Tone Poet thread.

:grinning:

I’m very surprised that a Jazz thread has yet to make any mention of the excellent and thriving young new forward looking"Jazz" coming from the London Club scene.
Sons Of Kemet (who’s first two are on Naim label)
Binker and Moses both as a duo and solo projects.
Comet Is Coming
Ezra Collective
Theon Cross, check his Fyah LP on Gearbox Records
Shabaka & The Ancestors
Zara McFarlane
Jazz re:freshed, also Jazz re:fest festival at the Brighton Dome forthcoming, it made the list of events of the year last year by Jazzwise magazine.
Kamaal Williams
And many others.

An essential LP that stands on its own and serves as a great primer is the We Out Here compilation from Giles Peterson’s Brownswood label. There is also a festival with the same name.

jpeg

3 Likes

Thanks DATC. Yes, I’ve also ordered a couple of the Tone Poet series - the Wayne Shorter and the Sam Rivers LPs. It’s starting to get a bit expensive though…

1 Like

Tell me about it Richard!
I subscribed to the entire Music Matters 33rpm series which with shipping from the US were working out around £50 each. I must have spent north of a grand on those alone, now the similar Tone Poet’s and BN80’s. Not to mention all the great new stuff I mentioned above, oh I have!
So it’s a rewarding time and financially ruinous to be a Jazz and vinyl lover!
Add to the above loads of other desirable music across other genres and what damn fool decided to make a day consist of only 24 hours!
:joy:

1 Like

Excellent titles. Sam Rivers was a new name to me and what a line up he’s got accompanying him on Contours.

Sat 27 July Midday til 8pm and its only a tenner!

One thing good about buying from Amazon - easy ‘Returns’ :wink:

1 Like

Oh dear, thanks for the warning, Jim

If they come here warped i’ll return for refund. :frowning:

1 Like

The wondeful Art Pepper backed by Miles Davis’s rhythm section Red Garland, Paul Chambers and Philly Joe Jones. A hastily arranged session that produced this exceptional record.

16 Likes

Indeed, an excellent record, very well recorded. Coincidentally I was spinning this last night - the excellent '80s Boplicity reissue - and it still blows me away how it sounds so much like the musicians are playing right there in the room.

2 Likes

For whatever reason Art seems to hold back just a bit and sounds all the better for it and yes a very well recorded record this AP version sounds excellent.

1 Like

We are going to this concert too missed out last year as we were on holiday but really looking forward to this years.

1 Like

Yeah another vote here for Art Pepper, I have the same AP reissue as pictured. (Art Pepper also recorded the sadly titled Smack Up)

A couple of other good titles AP did around the same time were Junior Wells Hoodoo Man Blues and Bill Evans Trio Waltz For Debby

I’m really looking forward to this too.
Theon Cross is on the bill and Zara McFarlane.
Check Theon Cross LP Fyah on Gearbox & Zara McFarlane Arise on Brownswood

Those are the two artists I’m most familiar with on the line up and just this last weak have been listening to both Camilla George’s solo and her quartets work and both are excellent.

1 Like

Line up so far;
Theon Cross
Zara McFarlane
Rosie Turton
Kevin Haynes Grupo Elegua
Sarah Tandy
Werkha
Camilla George

One of the few John Coltrane records I own and listen too regularly he’s usually a bit much for me but because of the material he plays a lot slower and doesn’t fill up every single second and for me sounds incredible. Fantastic line up too.
jpeg

14 Likes