Jazz Music Thread

I found this photo which might be of interest to the Chet/ Miles fans.
I think the third Hawaiian is probably Howard Rumsey who ran the Lighthouse jazz establishment in SF.
Nimage

1 Like

The album from the 1953 session…

AllMusic Review by Scott Yanow

This set has odds and ends recorded at the Lighthouse on a Sunday when Miles Davis was in town. He jams with the regular sextet (which included trumpeter Rolf Ericson, altoist Bud Shank, Bob Cooper on tenor and drummer Max Roach) on two numbers and has “'Round Midnight” as his feature. Max Roach takes “Drum Conversation” unaccompanied and trumpeter Chet Baker plays “At Last” with pianist Russ Freeman. The recording quality is merely okay but the viable and occasionally exciting historical music makes this a set worth picking up.

Dave

1 Like

Thanks again.
The looks on Chet’s face are amazing.:star_struck:
N

The look of humble admiration in the presence of the master. :grinning:

Dave

1 Like

Those photos were taken by Cecil Spiller I think - who also did some early live recordings at the Lighthouse. I have a signed photo on my wall taken by him of Shelly Manne with Max Roach at that venue. Quite possibly, the photo was taken that very day !

Spiller actually used his own home-made tape machine to record at the Lighthouse. His recording of the Lighthouse All Stars on that Contemporary LP is pretty impressive for the era.

2 Likes

Doesn’t look like Rumsey. Looks more like Rolf Ericson. Which would make sense I guess, all 3 being trumpeters.

Agreed.
It looks from the pictures on the lp cover as though the two saxophone players’ shirts have been used to dress Chet and Miles for their photo.
Miles would not have been interested in such nonsense having always been a stylish dresser.
N

I understand the 45rpm One step MoFi is the best sounding Ah Um ever.

Mono original

5 Likes
1 Like

Great record. Sold my mono original (purchased from HMV Oxford Street) many years ago, to Mole Jazz.

2 Likes

Mole Jazz - must have spent a small fortune in that place over the years and I even bought from them when they were still a mail order operation from the late Ed Dipple’s house. Sadly missed !

Radio 4 even did a programme about the place. Bobby Wellins described the customers rummaging through the racks there as like a scene at a busy gents’ urinal.

3 Likes

I got this LP on Mole Jazz
R-1714037-1447957485-6810.jpeg R-1714037-1447957492-8949.jpeg

6 Likes

I used to patronise the shop opposite Kings Cross Station. Ray Smith in Upper Shaftesbury Avenue was another favourite and then of course Dobells,77 Charring Cross Road.
You might only come away with one record but it was a lot more pleasant way to buy your music.
The proprietors/staff were always quite irascible and taught me a lot about relationships with customers and staff.:confounded:
Thanks for taking me back.
N
Liked the Wellin’s comment. Not always a source of light and warmth. Bless him.

1 Like

As near as I can get to a local jazz group.
I think it is all very credible especially if you like the Stan/Al/Zoot quartets.
Chris Ingham explains the project on his web site.
Hopefully if the bug fades I might be able to see them.
N

On Qobuz.

2 Likes

I just hate those kind of pompous patronising shops

I think the radio programme described the typical staff as ‘bearded, overweight middle aged men of an indeterminate age’.

Pretty accurate for Mole Kings Cross !

1 Like

Bearded tick
Overweight tick
You are never 80 you don’t look a day over tick

So I would still fit in.:crazy_face:
N

1 Like

On the plus side, the proprietors/staff really knew their stuff when it came to jazz. I’m sure they were all members of a secret society !

1 Like

Yes, that was very sad news about Don Weller. He was a real stalwart over the years across numerous festivals. First time I ever saw him was with Gil Evans !

Not to be missed is the CD reissue of ‘Major Surgery’. There is also a limited vinyl issue of lost/stored original copies, apparently about 100 were found in a cupboard. Numbered/certificated edition.