Jazz Music Thread

This is the official Widow’s Taste release by the Widow herself, Laurie Pepper, in Los Angeles and remastered by Wayne Peet AND including a 22 page booklet filled with info, gossip, and photos. ALL of two nights live at Ronnie Scott’s in London, 198, transferred from original analogue tapes professionally recorded by Mole Jazz:

THE TWELVE BARS OF THE DECADE; Blues for the Fisherman was hailed by one jazz journalist as just that when four of these tracks were released in the U.K. in 1980 by Mole Jazz. That LP remained at the top of the British jazz charts for well over a year, so Mole eventually released a second album from the same session. Fans all over the world have worn those LPs out and have been clamoring for 30 years to hear it all, everything that happened during those two historic nights at Ronnie Scott s, part of Art Pepper s first-ever tour of Europe. Laurie Pepper, the alto saxophonist s widow and owner of Widow s Taste Records, says there is a logic to releasing everything. Art was a storyteller, explains Laurie. Every tune was a vehicle, a way for him to express his life of pain and glory. He loved to talk about it, too. Communication, soul to soul, was what he aimed for. When we listen to these sets, we hear a narrative: In the music and between the tunes Art keeps us, the audience, informed. He lets us track the skill, persistence, anguish, and exhilaration of the process of performing, the story of an artist at work. From the stage he tells us what is and isn t working as he sees it at the moment. He reveals how nervous he is and how grateful for a sympathetic crowd to whom he jokes, complains, explains, and reminisces. The band features Milcho Leviev, The Bulgarian genius (Arnaldo DeSouteiro) and frequent Pepper sideman. He was putative leader of this session. (Art was then under contract to Galaxy Records, which would not permit him to record as leader for any other label, however obscure). Also in the band: the young, exciting Tony Dumas on bass and Art s favorite drummer, Carl Burnett. At Mole s behest, Art plays some tunes less usual for him in 1980: Stardust, Rita San, Untitled #34, Blues for the Fisherman. He also plays familiar favorites, What s New, Goodbye, I ll Remember April, A Song for Richard, Rhythm-A-Ning, and his own: The Trip, Ophelia, True Blues, Red Car, Make a List, and of course Straight Life (while announcing it Art plugs his autobiography of the same name, about to be released in England later that year). And he plays clarinet, as well, on Anthropology and In a Mellow Tone. Every set at Ronnie s was a little piece of art, a composition, lovingly constructed for an eager and perceptive audience. The album includes Laurie s personal photos and 24 pages of notes describing Art s emotions and preoccupations, how he felt about the situation s pressures and delights. She talks about The Fisherman, and, as usual, she gives us her own amused, nonplussed, and dazzled take on all of it. Laurie Pepper launched the Widow s Taste label in 2006 in order to introduce Art to a generation who may not know how soulful jazz can be, to offer an alternative to the shoddy wares of bootleggers, and to satisfy the blessedly insatiable desires of Art s knowledgeable fans. Using previously unreleased sessions recorded by radio stations or picked up surreptitiously by fans, she s inspired to keep going by those fans and by the overwhelming praise of critics.

Edited streaming on Qobuz.

Dave

3 Likes

I couldn’t care less if staff in record shops know their stuff if they behave like elitist tossers.
I remember way back when somewhere in Brighton I think, this record shop I went into and bloke behind the counter initially just ignored me. I was browsing the racks, some great stuff, like a kid in a candy store. After a while the bloke cranked up the shop system and bizarrely started stomping his feet heavily and exggeratedly on the wooden floor of the shop whilst hardly taking his eyes off me. I thought perhaps he was waiting to close, I was the only one in the shop, but it was only early afternoon.
What time do you close I asked but he blanked me and started a telephone conversation back behind the counter.
By now I had a fair stack of LP’s I was going to buy. I put the pile on the counter and waited, he continued blanking me and talking on the phone.
Eventually he hung up and without a word started leafing through my selection, pausing at each title and either sniffing, grunting or chuckling bizarrely to himself as he rung each one up on the till. I spotted a box set on the wall behind the counter and asked if I could see it. “Why? Its (cant remember the artist) that’s all you need to know!”
He totalled the till and without speaking just looked at me waiting for payment at which point I told him where to shove em pushed the whole lot into orbit over the counter and made a hasty exit.

1 Like

I was having a search to see if I could find the Radio 4 programme but all I got was The Diaries Of Adrian Mole.
But this popped up, a couple of years old but still available and right up my street

The programme was available for some time on the internet but seems to have disappeared. It featured Ed Dipple’s widow and reminiscences by Wellins and some of the old store staff. Leni Dipple spoke about having to work with a terminally ill Ed to price up his rare vinyl - I think the proceeds came out to well over a million.

It was broadcast over 10 years ago I think.

Here it is/was -

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00fvl5m

1 Like

Obviously trained up by Jack Black !

1 Like

Or as a 4CD set I see but quite pricey.
61k9SU2FkhL.SY400
I dont have a permanent streaming solution at present, apart from the occasional free offers which I connect from my phone via Blutooth to a Denon system in the kitchen, at the moment I have 3 months Tidal for £3.
I’m not sure I want to get a Naim streamer for my main Naim system as I only need the streamer not the built in amplification ( I think that’s the case except the higher end multi thousand pound models).
I’ve been thinking about trying a Blusound Node 2i they can be bought direct with 30 day return option.

1 Like

Ha! Indeed!

:joy:

Ha! Me too. I bought a copy just the other day off the 'bay.

I thought it might one a good entree before considering whether to get a copy of this…

3 Likes

Yes I think I’ve seen that before on Pure Pleasure’s website, is it the same recordings as the above highlighted by @jazzman22 CD/Stream?

I believe so, yes.

Bloody hell! Another one to add to my wallet busting list!

2 Likes

Bought a copy of that set from Pure Pleasure just a few months ago. One of their last copies in stock. Sound is superlative.

It duplicates the music on the Widow’s Taste CDs.

1 Like

I just compared my Mole Jazz Blues For The Fisherman LP to the Discogs entry for the Pure Pleasure box and it’s also mastered by Ray Staff which is good.

Incidentally whilst looking for the above I came across this curiosity (to me anyway)
Victor Lewis (?) On the Audioquest label (the cable company)
Maybe an Audiophile demo record?
I’ve added it to my “to be played” section

Victor Lewis - Superb drummer with Woody Shaw, Carla Bley, Bobby Watson’s Horizon etc. He’s still very active as a drummer and bandleader.

Qobuz download 4 disc(s) 41 track(s) £26.49.

Dave

If you like Milcho Leviev, MA Recordings has three excellent discs of him playing solo and duo with Dave Holland on the Bosendorfer. The sound quality is outstanding.

2 Likes

Me three. Bought from Ray’s in the early 90s. Most of the first jazz records I bought came from there - happy memories. Here’s a nice website commemorating it.

3 Likes

I was fortunate back in the day to go to university in Central London. It meant that if I had a spare hour or two between lectures I could leg it up to Kings Cross for Mole, head down Tottenham Court Road to either HMV or Virgin or if adventurous check out the smaller outlets in Monmouth St. such as Honest Jons and nearby, what was then a pre-Rays Collets. Good times !

That ‘Ray’s’ website is well worth checking out. Long may it stay on the internet.

3 Likes

I lived in west London when I was a teenager and used to catch the Central Line up to Collet’s to visit Ray in the downstairs jazz cellar. Some great purchases, including a copy of Terry Riley’s Reed Streams on the Mass Art label.

3 Likes