Jazz Music Thread

Agreed that you have to take pot luck with these reissues Richard - but sometimes it pays off. I recently purchased Wes Montgomery’s Groove Yard on the much maligned DOL label; and Nina Simone’s Little Girl Blue and Stan Getz/Charlie Byrd’s Jazz Samba both on Jazz Images - and these 3 all sound great to these old ears. Each was about £11 - and I think my new Superline/252 was really doing its job well.

Ronnie Scott’s is reopening in August and tickets are available for shows now.

EDIT… Sorry to say… they were… :thinking:

2 Likes

2 Likes

I enjoyed my listen to this this morning - first of four albums he is releasing this year to be boxed in a set in november…

1 Like

Thanks for the information. Will buy the first one in 96/24.

1 Like

Another wonderful thread with so many top recommendations BUT it’s pretty much all in the classic canon (US Euro and 60s/70s UK).

I’ve been desperately missing live jazz with both Gateshead and Chelters cancelled and Giles Peterson’s festival near Huntingdon off.

Does no-one in Naimworld listen to the new young Turks of Brit jazz? - many of them would have been playing the circuit.

Yes it can be a bit nu-souly and there is some (usually intelligent) rap but the playing is excellent and the music joyous. Plus there are lots of female players, band leaders and composers. Lots of influences from afrobeat to dub.

First encountered at Womad a couple of years back - the Ezra Collective. We were at least twice the average age and people were dancing!

Recommendations (sorry no pics)

Seed Ensemble - Drift glass
Binker Golding - Abstractions of Reality …
Nerija - Blume
Theon Cross - Fyah
Binker & Moses - Live in the East
Nubya Garcia - Nubyas 5ive

Hope you enjoy

2 Likes

Locked Down Jazz Appreciation - Album of the Week

35: Clifford Brown And Max Roach: Clifford Brown & Max Roach (EmArcy)
Who knows what trumpeter and early hard bop architect Clifford Brown would have
achieved had he lived beyond his 25th birthday. His death, in a car accident, on 26 June
1956, robbed the jazz world of one its brightest prospects, though he recorded at least
one album worthy of inclusion among the best jazz albums of all time. Despite his young
age, “Brownie” left a good number of recordings that continue to preserve his name, the
best of which is arguably this one, laid down in August 1954 when Brown and drummer
Max Roach co-led a quintet that included saxophonist Harold Land. With Richie Powell on
piano (who died in the same fatal car crash with Brown) and George Morrow on bass, the
group delivered a stunning set that featured three original tunes – including ‘Joy Spring’ –
plus a vibrant take on Bud Powell’s ‘Parisian Thoroughfare’ (with a hint of George
Gershwin’s ‘American In Paris’ in the intro).
Key song: ‘Joy Spring’

Enjoy

Dave

6 Likes

Noticed a tip from @PatM for Eric Vloeimans. That brought me in the end to below album. Very melancholic, beautiful recorded and to my opinion a highly recommended album.

What a nice thread this is. Discovered so much.

Iver

3 Likes

Nice find. Thank you!

1 Like

I like Eric Vloeimans playing a lot - try these two -there are others !
Enjoy

1 Like

Glad you like it @Ian … quite revelation for me, this musician

One of my top 5 ever (The others: Kind of Blue, The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady, Miles at Plugged Nickel (not best of) and A Love Supreme).

2 Likes

Ok. will try and report back

Nice before dinner music !

Houston Person (s)
Legendary Ron Carter (b)
Qobuz HiRes

5 Likes

Thanks for posting this one. Outside of Parker I hadn’t explored Duke Jordan. I discovered Two Loves is a companion album to Flight to Denmark containing tracks from the same two recording sessions. An interesting backstory as well.

Another 1960 Jordan album I found worth checking out:

Dave

4 Likes

He Dave, thanks. Duke Jordan is vey nice !
Iver

1 Like

The new one on Gearbox.

2 Likes

I think all three cds played consecutively might cause you to drift off to the land of nod.:sleeping:
But some stirling support and good for the occasional spin.
Available on Qobuz so you be the judge.
Nimage

Hah seemed to have damned that with faint praise.:thinking: But a good set.

2 Likes

They’d all be in my top 20.

Marvin Stamm – flugelhorn
Mike Holober – piano
Mike McGuirk – bass
Dennis Mackrel – drums

1 Like