Jazz Music Thread

Gene Ammons - The soulful Moods of Gene Ammons - Analogue Productions Moodsville RE.

I listened to one half of this excellent record before the final matches of the longest and craziest PL season yet and am listening to the second half now.

3 Likes

Ray Bryant, piano
Ike Isaacs, bass
Specs wright, drums

Recorded at Rudy Van Gelder studio in 1957, a JVC xrcd mastering.

2 Likes

Ron_Carter_Trio_Cocktails_at_the_Cotton_Club

jazz460_edited-1

Nice

Dave

7 Likes

4 Likes

Piano jazz

Italy meets Scandinavia. Superb live album. I love the Roon automated suggestions using predictive analytics

7 Likes

Great line up I will look this up.
I have quite a few recordings of Phillip Catherine and Enrico Pieranunzi playing with Chet Baker and both are excellent musicians.

2 Likes

Limited reissue LP on the Canadian ‘Return to Analog’ label.

2 Likes

Thanks - Ordered !

1 Like

I enjoyed this one. I’d been after a good original for a while but it’s quite rare and when it does appear the prices can be rather high so the reissue was very welcome.

Richard - I agree. The sound on the reissue is excellent. Original copies are scarce and usually beat up/cost a fortune. Only 500 copies of this reissue so glad to get hold of it.

Folder
This is super - I really like these 3 together !

Azimuth
Kenny Wheeler (t)
John Taylor §
Norma Winstone (voc)

3 Likes

Good on yer, 100% goes to Refuge Against Domestic Violence. The same with the other three albums from Bandcamp.

9 Likes

Ethiopian music anyone?
The Ethiopiques series ran to 30 CD’s!
This nice double vinyl gatefold set is a worthwhile taster

1 Like

I’ve just bought the latest Audio Clarity LP reissue of Mike Taylor’s wonderful album, Trio. I’m not expecting too much (not for a tenner, anyway!) but it’s just nice to have it on a piece of vinyl without paying the usual four figure price tag for an original. I have the original Jazz Explosion album that features Abena from this album (and the only way thus far to hear it in stereo on LP), and the sound is superb. I have no idea what Audio Clarity are offering here - I fear it may be taken from the CD issue, but I felt that for a tenner it was worth a punt…

2 Likes

Looks like a Russian boot of dubious origin but I guess compared to the £1650 copy of the Columbia on discogs it is a bargain !

I’ve heard mention (in ‘Jazzwise’ I think) that Universal is planning to bring out official vinyl releases of quite a batch of the Lansdowne series, including Taylor’s ‘Pendulum’. No idea when these will be out though. When they do come out, I will fill my boots.

I’d love Jazzman to reissue more of the Lansdowne series, especially if they come with proper flip back sleeves and sound as good as the Rendell Carr set.

1 Like

I think it will be Universal doing these, using the Tubby Hayes releases with Gearbox as a model. Hopefully (unlike the Monk ‘Palo Alto’) it will happen !

1 Like

2 Likes