Jazz Music Thread

Hi @BertBird, agree. Some songs are a bit less. The trio has more albums but this one for me stood out
Iver

Just reissued on CD and limited LP by Cadillac.

1 Like

and as a 24 bit download on Bandcamp.

3 Likes

@narcom very nice.
I have below one on DSD, also recommended
Iver

3 Likes

2 Likes

I for one certainly do and have regularly posted here, I started a separate thread on Jazz Re:freshed which didnt last and the essential annual Jazz Re:fest all dayer in Brighton sadly cancelled this year.
In Naimworld Sons Of Kemet first two LP’s were of course on the Naim label and my first introduction to the Jazz Re:freshed movement

1 Like

This guy was a young Turk once:

Remastered and reissued, out this month. (Bandcamp/Juno).

1 Like

Hi Dreadatthecontrols - great moniker by the way. Just a newbie so hadn’t seen your earlier posts. Didn’t mean to offend just to spread the word. I’d forgotten that SoK were on Naim doh! Nubiya Garcia’s first album due out soon I hear.

Also Richard. Haha. I last saw him with his octet at Norwich Arts Centre midweek in the earlyish noughties (I think). There were maybe 25 people there but they still played up a storm.

Don’t think I saw him live but I bought the original LP in 1975.

Enjoying this, perhaps too many vocals.

Idris Ackamoor

Empirical - Out ‘n’ In

This British jazz group really is at the creative edge, and the outer edge at that. I was at the Naim Audio factory for forum visit last year when we were asked what style of music we’d like to see more of on the Naim label. I offered hard bop, perhaps a little tongue in cheek, but ever hopeful. Anyway as we left we we each given a goody bag in which I found this album. Based very much on the style of Eric Dolphy (this set includes covers of some of Dolphy’s tunes), Empirical really are capable of some tremendous outside jazz. I really must explore them further.

5 Likes

On an impromptu trip into Ray’s Jazz at Foyles some years ago, I was delighted to find Empirical playing tracks from this album as a free gig to publicise the album in the ‘old’ coffee shop area. Caught them in a basement pub gig at the Green Man, Marylebone some time later.

An obvious influence for them is Eric Dolphy’s ‘Out to Lunch’ - but they also draw on Joe Harriott’s free form experiments I think.

1 Like

Hi @narcom, is this an album on your local NAS? Can’t find it on Qobuz nor Tidal thru Roon
Iver

1 Like

Yes. Unfortunately this exeptional good album is not available for streaming and hard to find. I bought my physical copy at Atelier Sawano, Japan.

1 Like

1 Like

1 Like

Piano Works VIII on the ACT label.

1 Like

4 Likes

@narcom For me Ben Webster is one of the very best. Love most of his album !!
Iver

1 Like