Jazz Music Thread

The reason is simple: I love to discover new, good music. Ideally well recorded! :grinning:

Talking of Taylor’s ‘Pendulum’, Jazzwise mentioned in a previous issue that Universal (not Jazzman) were planning on reissuing that one on LP in a first batch of 12 rare titles. Others listed included the ‘Lola’ and NJO ‘Dejeuner Sur L’Herbe’. No William Russo ‘Stonehenge’ alas.

No word yet about when these are hitting the racks.

2 Likes

Well I’ve just seen it for £168 inc postage at the river. At that price I can forgive the sleeves and have just hit the buy button
:+1:

1 Like

Nice. You definitely won’t regret it.

Yes, I’d heard something about this. Any word on who is cutting? I hope it’s Gearbox again!

Just hope they pack it well and it doesnt stay too long in a boiling hot van

Yes, my first box set got trashed by the courier. Much luckier second time around…

Now your making me anxious!
:joy:

The best reason of all.

I enjoyed Mark Wade’s 2019 album release “Moving Day”. He is, in my opinion, a very good bass player and is about to release a new album, “Blues in Isolation” in September I believe. The new album is off the back of a series of videos made during lockdown. I will be posting a question about the new album once I have sorted the video links.
Moving Day

4 Likes

3 Likes

Yes, hopefully it will be Gearbox were doing the honours. Promises to be a fantastic series.

I thought it was 12 titles but the article only mentions 6. These are:

Kenny Wheeler/John Dankworth ‘Windmill Tilter’
New Jazz Orchestra ‘Le Dejeuner Sur L’Herbe’
New Jazz Orchestra ‘Western Reunion’
Graham Collier ‘Deep Dark Blue Centre’
Mike Taylor ‘Pendulum’
Zbigniew Namyslowski ‘Lola’

Initially on digital and to be followed by CD and LP, apparently.

Found this on Qobuz at the weekend. Apparently Noel McGhie, was/is hugely popular with free jazz fans, ‘a worthy heir to Max Roach and Rashied Ali’ but this album Trapeze, released in 1975, is more like funk than free jazz. I didn’t know the other players on Trapeze either, saxophonist Jorge Joao, trumpeter Itaru Oki, electric pianist Georges-Edouard Nouel and bassist Louis Xavier. Together they’ve made a veritable jazz fusion gem that should be rediscovered immediately!

Oh great! Graham Collier’s Deep Dark Blue Centre is a favourite.

5 Likes

Discovered this album through a review. Unifony II is an absolute master-piece by Eggersman, Theodoor Borger, Aaron Parks & Oskar Gudjohnsson. It was released last month. Very melancholic, a little mystique and most of all superbly musical
Highly recommended

5 Likes

And try their first too, with Mathias Eick. Also excellent.

2 Likes

2 Likes

Sadly I can’t find this one on Qobuz. :frowning:

Dave

I highly recommend the download from HDTracks.

1 Like

My favorite Fred Hersch albums:

1 Like