Jazz Music Thread

The Joe Jackson caught my eye, Look Sharp, I still have the picture sleeve 7" of Sunday Papers from my yoof

Geraldo & co?

Geraldo and his Orchestra.

Some of these guys e.g. Ronnie Scott and Tony Crombie I think joined Geraldo’s Orchestra on the Queen Mary just so they could check out the bop scene on 52nd St in person. It was referred to as ‘Geraldo’s Navy’. :sunglasses:

1 Like

This evening I am again enjoying this great piece from Switzerland:

7 Likes

These guys have opened up to another audience, haunting music…

4 Likes

Hi @PatM, this thread is amazing for me. I learn so many great jazz artists. Never heart of Roberto Gatto but he indeed makes wonderful music !
Thanks for recommending !
Iver

Coleman Hawkins

2 Likes

After a week long struggle with Qobuz I have the service back.
:hugs::hugs::partying_face::partying_face::partying_face:
Celebration practice image
It seems to work.
N

2 Likes

Thank you for the recommendation
I new one for me.
These three can stand up to Oscar. Sometimes his accompaniment can be a little unrelenting.
Poor old Pres gets quite overawed by him on this one.

I know I always say it but what another wonderful DSM cover.
N

4 Likes

Interesting modern jazz trio.

I was reading the Tub’s thread and it reminded me of this venue.
I had moved to London from the country side. I lost my Suffolk accent pretty quickly🤐 and lived in Highbury…
I can remember going up to the Manor House a couple of times to see the band upstairs. I wish I could remember more. What a collection of stars.
‘It’s on Qobuz
N

2 Likes

Great! Thanks for recommend this.

1 Like

Another recent release (2015, I think) for the new Tubby Hayes enthusiasts here. Tubbs plus guitar.

3 Likes

Thanks for the knowledge
:+1:

Also mastered by Gearbox records
:+1:

Yes, but it does sound a bit thin (it might have been from cassette IIRC) but you soon get used to that. That being said, it contains some fine music indeed. It’s from the same era as the Mexican Green and Grits, Beans and Greens albums, being Tubby’s finest period.

1 Like

Yes, a few of the early live recordings from Gearbox were mastered from cassette. They did some good masterings of BBC recordings as well. Jazz For Moderns, there out of print on vinyl at the moment, hope they will repress them, there available digitally from Bandcamp. Tubby Hayes, Don Rendell and I love Joe Harriott

And this one, but disappointingly again digital only at the mo…

Maybe it’s a sign that it’s time for you to get into digital replay…

I do dabble from time to time. I buy a lot of vinyl from Bandcamp and make use of the download/streams that usually come with vinyl purchases (I have a “fan acount”).
I often download and burn to CDr.
I also often take advantage of free offers from Tidal, I’m using one now but the best I can do is to stream via my phone into a reasonably decent Denon system.
I am considering maybe a Blusound, I hear there pretty good for under £500. I’m not ready to spend Naim prices on a streamer yet, vinyl still my primary pleasure on a fairly high end LP12