Jazz Music Thread

Just been doing it a bit of internet searching on these recordings. Not sure if The Hopbine is one of the Gearbox titles sourced from cassette. The live recordings at Ronnie Scotts from this period were done by one Ted Lyons on a Ferrograph. Unless it was transferred to cassette at some point and the tape lost.
Anyway, where did I put my Anorak?..

This 1972 outing is sourced from cassettel_287381gb1523tubbyhayescopy_540x

Sorry to hog the thread, getting carried away, last post for now again from Gearbox
l_190866gb1510jazz_couriers_540x

1 Like

I’ve never been a fan of jazzers doing classical but Uri Caine is an exception:

2 Likes

I read that a while ago, who knows where this would have gone. We can only dream

Can you please elaborate on this comment, I don’t quite understand what you mean by “arguably more self indulgent” and “Pyrotechnic.” Perhaps you can share an example or two from the Blue Note catalog…thanks.

Making a bit of noise on the UK Jazz Scene, Nubya Garcia is an up and coming new star. Out today on the Concord Jazz label, her debut album, Source. Indy shop coloured vinyl…

4 Likes

That patterned vinyl looks cool. How does it sound?I tend to avoid these as often the patterning makes for a noisy pressing.

I will listen to it more later but first impression was it was good and a decent pressing. Picked mine up from Resident this morning - limited to 1000…

Nice one, and nice to hear from another member in the locality, a couple of others were in Union records Lewes on another thread.

1 Like

I used to live near Lewes but not been there for a long time so did my first visit to Union on the way out of Brighton today (think it was you that nudged me there with a comment earlier on). Like the store a lot so will visit more regularly. I live over the border in West Sussex now so often use Analogue October records in Chichester also…

1 Like

Analogue October, that’s new to me I’m just outside Worthing.
I’m a cab driver (although I’ve been taking time out during these risky times, staying home listening to records and idling on this forum) and pop into these shops if a fare takes me nearby and I can dodge parking enforcement, although I have become lazy and more reliant on mail order these days

1 Like

Currently open Wed-Sat and a nice jazz selection…new vinyl only.

2 Likes

I will try to check them out, just had a look at their website, cheers

1 Like

Just a thought but not far from Resident, tucked away in the tiny Ship St Gardens is the little Bella Union record shop. Simon the owner and particularly his wife are regulars in my cab. We always have interesting chats about music, his wife who’s name I disrespectfully cant remember at the mo is enthusiastic about the current British Jazz scene and we often share recommendations while I play a few tunes on the drive.
Never gives a tip though, but you cant have it all :joy:

1 Like

Yes been in there a few times. They were very nice to my son (a few extras) when he was out buying some vinyl for the first time…

1 Like

I usually nod off long before the still of the night.:yawning_face:
This is a fine,beautifully recorded example of the man and his music.
A somewhat irascible, unforgiving individual. But the command and tone of his instrument are superb.
Kenny Washington (my man Charlap’s choice) makes a fine addition to Reuben’s usual collection of friends. on Q.
N

1 Like

Ah. The bar at the old place.
Please be assured that there never were this many staff manning the bar and they most certainly never smiled.
N

1 Like

Another new release.
This is great, elements of Duke Ellington and Mike Westbrook in a recording made for the BBC at their Maida Vale studios.
Just had it on repeat for the last few days.
Makes me wish that more of the live sessions that the BBC recorded for programmes like Sounds of Jazz would be made available somehow.

2 Likes