Jazz Music Thread

Agreed Ah Um is a great album.

1 Like

The album has gotten a glowing review on the audiophile style site. The reviewer thinks it is the best of the One Microphone recordings;
He writes; ‘These guys and this recording just rocks. Pace, rhythm, tone and soundstage are just off the charts. The precise placement of all four of the musicians perfectly matches the photos of the sessions. The balance of all four instruments is darn near perfect. As you can no doubt tell, I am a huge fan of this recording. It is one of the best in terms of recording quality I have ever heard.’

1 Like

Sons Of Kemet
Comet Is Coming
Ezra Collective
Up on the IPlayer from Glastonbury
:grinning:

This 2018 triple 10" vinyl reissue of Miles’s French movie soundtrack really is excellent some of the out takes are very good. Very well mastered, pressed and presented and can still be had for a reasonable amount.

8 Likes

Having a Miles night whilst I’m home alone unfortunately Miles isn’t Universally liked in our house. This U.S. Columbia One Eye 1st press sounds excellent & what a line up,
Ron Carter, Tony Williams, Herbie Hancock and Wayne Shorter.

5 Likes

Another great performance from the same band and recorded in the same year as ESP but not released until 1976 in Japan though this copy is from a series of 25 LP’s released in 1983 and again Japan only.

3 Likes

Another fantastic live recording from the same period but a year earlier and featuring George Coleman instead of Wayne Shorter.
Recorded Live At The Antibes International Jazz Festival - Juan-Les-Pins, 1963.
US.Columbia One Eye 1st press again sounds wonderful.

4 Likes

The Immense 1957 release on Prestige. This a 2017 reissue cut from the original master tapes by Kevin Grey at his Cohearent Studios and pressed by Quality Record Pressings.

7 Likes

If you like that I’d strongly recommend having a listen to the live at the Village Vanguard set, recorded November 1957. It’s a mono recording, but in the most recent RVG remaster is superb sound. It really captures the feeling of the moment.

5 Likes

Thanks Clive I’ll check it out

The Postman visited Dread mansions again today, splendid chap, the two latest in the Tone Poet series.
Baby Face Willette is a new name to me…

It’s a great time right now to be a Jazz fan and vinyl lover especially with the Blue Note Tone Poet & BN80 series. My flexible friend is feeling the strain and struggling to keep up! :joy:

3 Likes

…and waiting for this one to arrive from the ever excellent Gearbox Records…

Abdullah Ibrahim The Balance

4 Likes

Thankfully they havent set fire to them!

Agree, all the BN80 series to date have been good. Not as nice a package as the Tone Poet’s, but still mostly AAA (unless recorded digitally like Canvas which sounds great) and the plating done at RTI but pressed at Optimal and cheap sleeves to reduce cost.
The only issue with the BN80’s so far, is for some reason, a ridiculous amount of static literally gluing the records into the inner sleeve, surgery often required to get the record out without damaging it! This appears to not be Isolated, over on Steve Hoffman a lot of complaints about the static issue.

The Incredible Jimmy Smith - Midnight Special
Blue Note U.S Stereo 1st Press 1961.

6 Likes

Head to Head Miles Davis - 'Round About Midnight

Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab - Mono, Remaster 2013
V
Coronet Australian 1st Press - Mono, 1957.

Played each track consecutively first the Mofi copy and then the Coronet and on each track the Coronet sounded sonically superior though the Mofi was dead quiet between the tracks and was the better quality pressing.
Surprisingly both copies a VG+ Columbia 6 eye mono original and a Mint sealed Mofi are roughly about the same price on Discogs (even taking into account postage from the US) and though I’ve never compared my Coronet copy to a Columbia original you would have to think it would be at least equally as good if not better.
So it’s a no brainer really if you are in the market you should go with the Columbia original.

6 Likes

Excellent 1962 release some top drumming as you’d expect from Shelley Manne and of course top drawer piano playing from Bill Evans. There’s a really nice rendition of Danny Boy on the A Side too.

5 Likes

Miles - Sorcerer US 1 EYE 1st press 1967 featuring mainly Wayne Shorter compositions.
n

4 Likes

Oscar Peterson - Girl Talk

1 Like

Another Oscar Peterson from later in his life this time a duet with Ella Fitzgerald on Pablo Records. A nice VG + copy of this can still be had for less than £10 inc p&p from discogs and though not Ella’s finest vocal performance I just really enjoy listening to these old Jazz superstars playing together. There are some absolute gems available on Norman Gantz’s Pablo Records and still very reasonably priced. (photo from discogs can’t be bothered to photo mine at the moment)

4 Likes