Jazz Music Thread

Another very nice release on Pablo featuring Sarah Vaughan and backed by a group of Jazz men you may have heard of. Again a Nr Mint copy can be had for less than £10 dont expect Columbia six eye sonics or Sarah circa 1955 and you’ll be in for a treat. I especially like George Gerchwin’s - How Long Has This Been Going On…Beautiful.jpeg

4 Likes

2016 reissue by Pan Am Records. I bought this blind for about £6 I’d heard the Live in San Francisco from the year before so thought I’d give it a try eand it was excellent.

3 Likes

Miles Davis’s rendition of Gershwin’s Porgy and Bess was one of the many orchestrated records he did along side Gil Evans that showcased both mens immense talents and mutal respect.

4 Likes

Another of Miles’s and Gil Evans’s orchestrated records. this version of Miles Ahead was released 5 years after the original in 1963 released on CBS in the UK.

6 Likes

One of Blue Note’s greatest artists in my opinion apart from his own solo work he has played on some of the labels greatest releases. This LP though recorded in late '62 and early '63 wasn’t released until 1985 as part of the ‘Cadre Rouge Audiophile Edition’ series of Blue Note records released in France in 1985 & 1986. These DMM releases are great value and are sonically pretty decent.

5 Likes

Getz at his best with Gilberto

7 Likes

It feels right to play that album today. I have just read that Joāo Gilberto died yesterday afternoon, aged 88.

1 Like

Undercurrent (bonus tracks version) by Bill Evans and Jim Hall.

5 Likes

4 Likes

Great choice I have the Mofi reissue which isn’t of their best would love to hear an original 1st press

Great record, great line up
Herbie Mann, Pepper Adams, Bill Evans, Kenny Burrell, Paul Chambers, Conny Kay and Philly Joe Jones.

3 Likes

1 Like

Bought the 3 x LP version when it came out in 1971 and it still remains a favourite.

Excellent Analogue Productions 45rpm double LP reissue of this classic.

6 Likes

Another very good Miles compilation a particularly good track is Cole Porters - Love for Sale Chet Baker does a different but equally good version both well worth a listen if you dont already know them.

4 Likes

I’ve been looking for a decent copy of this fantastic LP for a couple of years now to no avail until then Tidal will have to do.

3 Likes

Another record I’d love to own but like The Cats LP above original copies are silly money the cheapest you could buy both original 1st press coppies is £200 for The Cats and £314 for Interplay.

2 Likes

Idrees Sulieman who appears on both the above records is a jazz player who really interests me and who I really enjoy hearing though his output as a leader is quite small restricted to The Camel below released only in Sweden and less than a handful for Steeplechase in the 70’s and 80’s. He can be heard playing with some of the greatest Jazz musicians as a side man from the late 40’s.

1 Like

Jim Dog
GOGO penguin next on at rncm Manchester october 27th

Got my tickets already…

Yes - me too.
should be great.
I suppose we watch the film while they play live…?
Am taking Mrs. JimDog, so a rare outing for the 2 of us together.