JImmy Buffet - RIP

Was never a really big fan, but he had a significant following for many decades - I was in Myrtle Beach, SC, last week, and the numerous references to his music and the culture surrounding it (the “beach life”) were everywhere. For example, a lady’s t-shirt that said “A Woman to Blame” on the front. And I have known a few “parrot heads” in my life, and they were really into it.

3 Likes

Visited Anchorage in ‘81 and “‘Somewhere over China” was playing on every jukebox inc Chilcoot Charlie’s…

Long time ago now,

ATB, J

2 Likes

1981 is a frighteningly long time ago - I was 23, just starting my professional career as a COBOL programmer, and everything seemed possible.

1 Like

RIP peace Jimmy…

I never owned one of your albums but I have joined in with others and sang along your songs while intoxicated in bars and at parties decades ago…

4 Likes

If you couldn’t code it in FORTRAN it probably wasn’t worth doing…… or so I was told whilst learning not to forget commas :joy::joy::joy::joy:

ATB, J

1 Like

Drunk in bars and at parties? Scandalous! :wink:

1 Like

Had many holidays in Florida back in the 80’s and 90’s. You either loved or loathed his music- I loved it. Particularly enjoyed a “Cheeseburger in Paradise” at his restaurant in Key West. R.I.P. Jimmy.

1 Like

He certainly was notable for being able to turn his music into a ginormous business enterprise!

His music wasn’t to my taste, and his concerts earned a reputation for attracting groups of 40’s, 50’s, 60’s yr old women who went as a group to relive their (to stereotype) drunken college / sorority days. (Of course almost every other rock show attracts men of that ilk.) Not my scene, but the people were entertained, which is what matters!

1 Like

Never saw his shows. Just enjoyed the music.

1 Like

Sad News, Always liked Jimmy’s music, he will be able to enjoy his Cheeseburger in Paradise now.

1 Like

It might come as a bit of a surprise but wasn’t a hurricane due in those parts.

Not until the end of this immediately past week. I was there the previous week…the 19th specifically. Overall impression was that of an overpriced tourist trap.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.