Jonathan Miller, Clive James & Gary Rhodes

All formative in my youth and young adult life. Jonathan Miller’s ‘The Body in Question’ particularly.

RIP all.

G

3 Likes

Feels like the end of an era.

2 Likes

Always enjoyed Clive James

4 Likes

I met Gary Rhodes once and he gave me an autographed copy of one of his cook books. He was delightful and a true entertainer as well as a superb chef. Apparently, his favourite ever dish was a bowl of mushroom soup he ate is a small restaurant in Provence.

Clive James was another I liked greatly and after listening to Pete Atkin sing his lyrics on the John Peel Show went out and bought all their collaborative albums. They are enchanting stories set to music.

Jonathan Miller was hugely talented: theatre, opera, acting, writing, television presenter, humourist and a medical doctor.

What is lost is never gained again, the world is a sadder place for losing these three gentlemen.

8 Likes

I remember, about 37 or 38 years ago, borrowing the Clive James anthology The Crystal Bucket – a collection of his Observer TV reviews – from the local library and embarrassing myself by laughing out loud on the Tube while reading it. Wonderfully witty, barbed and often hilarious writing.

Rhodes was a decent guy and a great chef, whose tireless championing of British cuisine was a breath of fresh air back in the day.

6 Likes

We often use recipes in a particular Gary Rhodes cookbook. It may even have got me into proper cooking, which is an important part of my life now…

Best

David

3 Likes

Admired Clive James for years and also have all the Pete Atkin albums. I saw them perform at High Wycombe Swan in the early 2000s with Clive James reading his poetry. An excellent and enjoyable gig.

A sad loss.

steve

2 Likes

The thing to hold onto is that yes these were very special and important people but, in spite of all the ignorant populist nonsense that is crippling life in the UK in so many ways, there are other younger people whom we may not know yet who will move into the vacuum these wonderful people left behind.

Best

David

4 Likes

What a lousy day, RIP all.

1 Like

Lovely Mary Beard with Clive James programme on BBC2 just now.

#FrontRowLate

G

2 Likes

Very sorry to hear that Clive James has died. I particularly enjoyed his TV moments with Vitali Vitaliev - their story is well worth a read.

2 Likes

Thanks for the tip … here’s an interview with them both in the Independent.

1 Like

Jonathan Miller was a great mind, like a bright and breezy better version of Will Self.

2 Likes

Agreed, but have to say Will Self is a pompous, vacuous, self important bore compared to Clive.

4 Likes

He is awful @Martinzero – and a pretty dreadful writer as well.

3 Likes

Agreed

You might be interested in this article from the local ABC.

2 Likes

Always remember Clive James new year shows…
possibly one of the first guys to start showing hilarious clips from tv shows in other countries…
RIP

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.