Joni Mitchell

Mingus for me. Just a little bit edgy and challenging. I never tire of it (I’ve played Blue, Hejira, et al to death).

4 Likes

I find Night Ride Home a much easier album to listen to and not one which is often mentioned, so perhaps it says something about my taste.

2 Likes

Hejira and Blue for me too, although I do play several others from time to time.

Whilst I would put Don Juan’s Reckless Daughter top followed by Mingus.

I do have a soft spot for Wild Things Run Fast.

4 Likes

Mingus

Then I guess Hejira or Don Juan - I know the former better as I came late to her records.

1 Like

I love her live albums and have Miles of Aisles and Shadows and Light on vinyl. I have several studio albums too. They are all great, but the live ones are the winner here. sc

3 Likes

The new Live at Newport is pretty good too. Joni is still luminous but subdued somehow. It is amazing she is still out there at all.

What a Tower of Will she is after a brain aneurysm! The original Lady of the Canyon.

3 Likes

She sure is. Never thought she’d perform again.

2 Likes

The genius of the lyric on Talk to me from the Don Juan album - her ability to conjure up the visual image of this.

There was a moon and a street lamp
I didn’t know I drank such a lot
Till I pissed a tequila anaconda
The full length of the parking lot!
Oh I talk too loose

2 Likes

Court and Spark
The Hissing of Summer Lawns

2 Likes

I like Night Ride Home too. It came out as I was getting into Hi-Fi so it was played a lot as I couldn’t believe how great it sounded. I also like Shadows and Light.

2 Likes

Yes, it is well recorded and I often use it as a test track. I don’t have any of her live albums, so clearly something I need to correct and so perhaps I’ll look for Shadows and Light following your tip.

3 Likes

It’s not in my collection and tbh at £24.99 for,the Cd I’ll content myself with the Qobuz streamed version. Not really given it a real listen yet but with my new system I will add it to my favourites. It should sound good if it’s used as a test tack.

1 Like

It’s interesting to see the selections. When it comes to Joni Mitchell there is something for everyone.

No takers for:-

Dog Eat Dog
Taming The Tiger
Shine

My favourite catalogue site is this - treat the scores as a guide.

Also, on the left are Lists which have certainly expanded my collection, again a pinch of salt is required with all these opinions.

https://rateyourmusic.com/artist/joni-mitchell

2 Likes

I’m a fan of the ‘Both Sides Now’ orchestral album.

I find it fantastic late evening/after dark listening.

1 Like

Love Shine.

1 Like

The ratings pretty much reflect my favourite Joni albums, Blue, Ladies of the Canyon, Hejira, Court and Spark, For the Roses, Hissing on Summer Lawns, Clouds and Mingus.
There is so much good material to choose from, as you say when it comes to Joni there is something for everybody.

3 Likes

I think as a tangent to the Joni suggestions…perhaps a listen to the Herbie Hancocks masterpiece is in order. A tribute to Joni…“River”
Perhaps the Tina Turner version of “Eidith and the King Pin” says it all. What a talent Joni has.

3 Likes

I’ve been a fan of Joni Mitchell for years. First hearing Court and Spark in the late 70’s and being mesmerised by the release of Don Juan’s Reckless Daughter covered on a radio programme. My favourites are: Court and Spark, Hissing of Summer Lawns, Wild Things Run Fast, Chalk Mark In A Rainstorm (Killer Kyle being particularly strong)
Joni has the ability to paint pictures with words, one of the best singer song writers of all time in my opinion. I bought the Live at Newport album on the day of release. So pleased to hear she has made a good recovery.

1 Like

Todays favourite so far😉

4 Likes