Jubilee Concert: I expected cheese, I got big emotion. Am I drunk?

A bit of thread drift here Kev but I went on the new Lizzie Line the other day to meet my daughter for dinner in Soho. Blow me down, there is an exit from Tottenham Court Rd that brings you out on Dean St itself! So I can get from SE London to Dean St itself now by tube - I was grinning like a Cheshire Cat!

3 Likes

I know Chris – I spent a day exploring the Abbey Wood-Paddington section. The trains are stunning, the stations even more so. For Londoners (and visitors), the Lizzie Line is a real-game changer.

4 Likes

Just realised that I posted this in the “what have I done in the past 24 hrs” thread.

" then relaxed into the Concert with Queen, and a few good acts. I was especially taken with The Queen and Paddington Bear, and even more so with Michelle Obama’s kind words."

Myself and Mrs D enjoyed a wonderful show. She did rather sportingly comment that one day I might be able to sing as well as Rod Stewart 
 I don’t have any such hopes :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Very well put.

I just looked at its map, We may be able to get from Terminal 2 to Bond Street in 30ish minutes when it’s fully joined up after the UK Autumn, just in time for our Christmas trip from down under. Awesome.

1 Like

Make sure you ask for a room with a high ceiling for the best acoustics with your vinyl setup. The stone walls are 15 feet thick so you shouldn’t get too many noise complaints. Oh and Amazon will be able to deliver fresh vinyl to you direct via the handily placed gate off the riverđŸȘ“

2 Likes

Hey - steady on!
More respect for what Aussies call “gravos”.

Roger Taylor was uber cool with his beard and sunglasses.

2 Likes

sorry not following?

Well said Samuel

A great show as most have said.
The more elderly artists were not there for their voices but because they were part of a journey over the 70 years.
Let’s be positive it was brilliant.

5 Likes

I am in the republican camp but thought it was pretty good and a lot of people enjoyed it which was good to see.
Diana Ross warming up for Glastonbury?
Obviously I would have preferred it if it was a shambles and the monarchy was deposed as a result :grinning:

1 Like

I wholeheartedly agree with HH and if I read the title of the thread correctly it asks for peoples opinions and not just those who thought the event wonderful.

Out in the real world there where thousands and thousands of already poorly paid and hard up people who where forced to take two days off from jobs who didn’t get paid.

2 Likes

I think the thread title is specific to the concert. The only question it asked was ‘am I drunk’.

A simple, humourous yes/yes, definitely would have sufficed

I didn’t watch the concert, but celebrated the event in other ways. IMO the four days was a very fitting way of celebrating the reign of a monarch that has served, in my view, very well for so long.

As a teacher, bearing mind it was half term, I would have preferred the bank holidays being the following Monday and Tuesday, but we can’t have everything! Still, it beats when I was in the motor trade when I had to work bank holidays for no extra pay, which if I didn’t sell anything, was roughly a 365th of £8k basic - I would rather not have been at work.

An estimate by Bloomberg Economics suggests that the holiday will shave 0.5% off GDP in the second quarter. Whether that’s a price worth paying is for each to decide. That said, the U.K. has far fewer bank holidays than many other countries.

1 Like

What a fabulous event, the 4 days definitely having something for most and a great to have a little light relief. Pity some always seem to be party poopers whatever the occasion. Great concert on the whole.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.