Just bought dBpoweramp

Yeah… it will make some servo sounds as it moves the read head from the TOC to the track positions… the clicking might be the lens focussing… however it should only do at the start, and occasionally at the start of a track, perhaps towards the end of the disc… assuming your CD is not dirty, damaged or badly pressed.
So if ok, a few clicks, and then it will spin up sounding rather like a washing machine on a spin! You can sometimes hear in spin down a little if it has to reduce the read speed to reduce errors because of the disc.

well Simon, your certified genius status is intact. i just switched dbpa to ‘secure’ and it’s ripping the Eagles On the Border which it has previously spat out about five times. many thanks. hopefully i can now rip the 30 odd CDs that i was going to re-buy. so i probably owe you a pint or two…

Glad it’s sorted for you :+1:

Does the Apple SuperDrive continue to work OK with the newer MacBooks using M1/M2/M3 processors, albeit with a USB A to USB C adapter?

Thanks,

ATB, J

I found on difficult CDs the secure option simply took forever and then still failed. Of course, YMMV.

well, i may have been a bit quick with the praise…yes, one CD that wouldn’t rip finally did - but the next five failed 6-7 tracks in…

i think i will now try another drive

but the secure rip option still looks like a helpful button to click for problem CDs

I don’t know from personal experiences, but the Apple site it works with Macs and whete required via a USB C to USB A converter… so all looks good.

You might have a defective drive, it appears on the interweb a few have suffered this, and under warranty Apple have sent replacements. YMMV.
I have successfully ripped 1281 CD albums on my Apple SuperDrive … as reported by Asset.

A few damaged discs to drop to frame scan on the damaged sectors, and that can take a long while. Those discs fail on playback on my CDX2 as well for those tracks, or have major skips or playback stops all together.

thx. interesting.

i do have two of them - may swap one out for the other and see what happens…

If you have damaged scratched discs, in dbpoweramp you can enable C2 Error correction on your SuperDrive. It needs to be set from dbpoweramp, and it needs to detect and calibrate itself with a damaged disc. (You can’t calibrate with a non damaged disc)
This will improve the performance of Secure rips with badly scratched, damaged or poorly pressed discs with the Apple SuperDrive. (Which I believe might actually be an LG drive)

I wrote Unix scripts to do what SongKong does with naim JSON files, and convert wav->flac is a 1 liner with ffmpeg. I posted examples on here somewhere.

This was to push metadata from our Opera collection ripped on Core but for which the metadata was woeful. Typed it in via naim app but of course when files moved to other devices it disappeared.

Never again! We just use MusicBrainz Picard to tag now.

thanks again - will try this one out as well. if it works, we’re up to 4 pints now… :beers:

Does the Apple SuperDrive continue to work OK with the newer MacBooks using M1/M2/M3 processors, albeit with a USB A to USB C adapter?

Yes

your post got me curious - I have found that some CDs manufactured a particular way seem to be more sensitive to dust or dirt on them and require cleaning for optimum performance with the SuperDrive- whilst others can be quite scratched and unclean and look in a bad way and the SuperDrive cuts through them like a hot knife through butter.
It tends to be the thinner and cheaper CDs - Like magazine CDs - that seem to sometimes benefit from a good cleaning with a soft cloth, whereas some of my second hand CDs - that can be a little scratched and shall we say ‘used’ - are ripped perfectly with no clean. New CDs that are directly purchased seem to offer no issue either - at least my recently bought ones.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.