Keep my SBLs or change for Neat Iota Explorer? Update

Sorry @Ardbeg10y I have to disagree.
Anyone with mint Mark2 SBLs post 2000 should be forced to sell at a very low price.
I need another pair just in case!

3 Likes

I was fortunate as a close friend gave me his Walnut Mk1 SBLs with MK2 drivers… some TLC new grills and these now sound magnificent on the end of a Nait 2.

Keep your SBLs as you will need to spend a shed load of money at the dealers to beat a good SBL setup.

4 Likes

My experience with SBL’s is that they can sound a little forward and harsh but having gone active I can put that down to the Naim SBL crossovers which were originally not furnished with the highest quality components.

Anyone who knows anything about speakers knows that passive crossovers with top quality parts make a big difference.

Since going active my system has become much more balanced and less forward, the highs, mid and bass are all balanced and detailed but nothing stands out, it all works as a cohesive whole.

I would maybe start at looking at some better passive crossovers and then going active as it’s such a step up and really what SBL’s were designed for.

2 Likes

Lots of advice here saying keep the SBL’s

But has anyone actually compared them to the Neats ?

I’m thinking people will be surprised

I really liked the Xplorers, although if I had to criticise them I would say they could be a little harsh sounding in some rooms or systems, so perhaps not a cure for a similar issue with SBLs. Not that I’ve compared the two directly.

Same here Chris , I’ve heard them in a well set up room driven by naim gear

I really liked them , didn’t find them harsh at all but they do need at least 200 hours running time

But like you never compared to SBL’s side by side

Just saying one needs to keep an open mind and listen to a number of speakers before making decisions

Regards

Like your Arc 2’s Chris ?

Mate of mine has the 1’s he loves them

Yes, I really like the Arcs. It was relative to them that I found the Xplorers just a little harsh.

Ah yes I could see that Chris knowing my mates arc’s sound

I have a pair of SBL’s (well two pairs actually) and a pair of Neat Ekstra’s which sound really nice also, if I had to choose I’d probably still pick the SBL’s mainly because I’ve got an active 135 system but if I went back to passive it would be very difficult to choose a winner.

1 Like

If you got a second hand 250 and a Snaxo 2-4 and two more lengths of Nac A5 and two more din-XLR then used your HC on the Snaxo 2-4 you’d be pretty much there to go active.

You could then get a Supercap for the Snaxo in the future if you liked what you heard.

I also listened to the Neat Orkestra but didn’t like them as much as the Ekstra, too much bass.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.