Kitchen Tips

I thought the same - only problem is that I would have to buy a pan of that size as I don’t own one!

Better yet, collect the dark red/brown thickened juice that comes out of the roasting joint, and use that with some of the boiling water used to cook the veg to make a gravy - you may need to add an Oxo cube or some other stock.

1 Like

Thanks Graham - I already do that. The marmite in this tip is for the hot goose fat, olive oil or whatever for the roasties - it gives the most incredible umami quality to the finished roasties

Excellent - great minds and all that…!

As we all know, meat joints etc should be left to rest after cooking.
With your roast chicken (or any bird) , rest it breast side down, not in its back. You will get far nicer breast meat.

2 Likes

We’ve got one of these on our induction hob to stop risk of scratching

1 Like

We’ve got a Ken Hom Wok for our induction hob, flat bottomed and works as well as our old gas wok did on it’s dedicated burner, as long as you put the power on high.

To over come this issue… try buttering both sides. This way you get one side butter side up!

Been there, done that🤣

1 Like

Nigella Lawson uses the ‘double butter’ method for her toast. A first layer while toast really hot that melts into toast. Then a second layer to leave you with some of those delicious clumps of unmelted butter - nom!

3 Likes

I was giving our kitchen a deep clean this afternoon, noting the poor state of cupboard doors etc, concluding that I could get a couple more years of use with a bit of careful repair.

My watch noted a missed call from a number I didn’t recognise.

When I checked “who called me” I found it was from a kitchen spray painting company! They claimed:

We offer a range of services for all your furniture and kitchen needs. Our spray painting service can help you give new life to your kitchen units or other pieces of furniture, and our repair service is perfect for restoring damaged items.

I have no intention of using their services as I never respond to unsolicited calls.

But it was amusingly spooky!

When the time comes, I may just replace the doors and drawer fronts rather than have a new kitchen.

Dripping from a beef roast on toast with a sprinkle of salt. :yum:

3 Likes

Lovely! I was at St John’s restaurant a few months ago and had a dish called ‘Beef mince on dripping toast’. I thought it was fabulous but my wife hated it so I got to finish it off!

2 Likes

To Thermomix or not, that is the question?

Best kitchen tip?

Don’t upset the chef.

Batch cook and freeze.

1 Like

Would the cook really want to be batched then frozen?

1 Like

Bake your own bread, very satisfying and tastes good.
Make your own pizza dough and passata, equally satisfying and you often have enough dough left to make a focaccia of varying sizes, depending on how many pizzas you make with the batch of pizza dough.

2 Likes

You could also apply a layer of butter to your tongue with a trowel before consuming the double buttered toast. That way you would be trebly sure you can actually taste some butter.

1 Like

My Dad used to have slices of butter on his toast. :yum:
Salt was poured on food rather than sprinkled. :astonished:

4 Likes