Kudos 606 vs 707 vs 808

There was only ever going to be one outcome, well done :slight_smile:

However, you owed it to yourself to hear the others and now you know for sure.

Enjoy your 808’s.

1 Like

And here they are - awaiting fraims etc, but this is the start of the media room system and sounding mighty fine out of the box. For those of you with 808s, how would you characterize the changes that I can anticipate with run in ?
Interestingly the 606s were very shouty, verging on aggressive until they passed 80+ hours, but no such issue with the 808s, which surprised me given they share the same tweeter.

11 Likes

I have listened to all the Titan range and finally settled on the 606s. After that I went for a Naim Snaxo 242 external crossover matched for the 606s.

I find that this is an excellent combination with well controlled bass, and a very detailed sound stage.

8 Likes

I think the 606s are a veritable bargain - phenomenal performance for the money.

1 Like

Very nice. Good looking speakers :+1:

1 Like

That, @DiggyGun, is a lovely space and a wonderful system.

From the pics I assume you use
250DRs active?

1 Like

Yes. 2x250DR with a 282 front end.

Fortunately, the missus likes the system and music, as it is our living room as well.

So having to make the best use of space.

1 Like

And here are the lovely 606s…

7 Likes

And here is another pair sounding rather good.

6 Likes

To be honest my pair were ex dem so not sure how much mileage they had at the dealership. As Tim has said they do slowly improve but having said that it is great that yours are sounding great out of the box. For me there was more air and space and a grip on the music over the first couple of months. They look very good in your photo…. enjoy.

They look tremendous in piano black.

1 Like

I agree ! :star_struck::+1:

Thanks for your response Michael. Good to know it gets even better!
What struck me from the off was the bass. Even the dealer who installed them (his first experience with 808s), who also works with some seriously high end kit (with speakers in the 50-100k € range, DCS etc), was astounded by the bass quality from the 808 / naim combination.
We played around with some other stuff to get some more of the DCS-type spatial quality whilst retaining the naim timing signature, but more on that in another post :slight_smile:

Yes the bass is very deep and well controlled, as a lover of the classical organ for me that was an important factor in deciding to buy. On quiet passages of music with a 32’ stop being played, you can hear the different pitch of each note right down to bottom C quite distinctly rather than just being a jumbled rumble! The 808s should improve particularly in the mid and bass response with you as the boxes settle after a day or two and the drivers open up with some use in the coming weeks.

I can’t remember the detail - but I wasn’t convinced by the first 808s for the first three weeks or so when driven by a 300. Took me around four weeks before I knew I wanted a pair. Then with the new pair I also got a brand new 500 and the sound was immediately better (perhaps not in every respect) than the several weeks run in first pair with a 300 - the 500 played a part. But, seven months on, the combination is streets ahead of where it was originally

I would add for benefit(?!) of others that the 606/707 combo seems quite personal. Heard both active (pair of 300s) in a dem and massively preferred the 707s. But I know from this thread and elsewhere that others prefer the 606s

Congratulations Robbo. Luv mine. Enjoy!

11 Likes

The run in 606s are really a pleasure to listen to on the end of an olive system. They bring so much life, immediacy and FUN to music, whilst doing the whole transparency thing to a T.
I have noticed though that they need a higher than usual dollop of volume to get them going (low sensitivity?)! but after a questionable few weeks while they were settling down they are now most definitely a keeper. I am listening to these whilst the 808s are on a run-in loop for the next few days.

I imagine that the 707s are very good - maybe a sweet spot between the 6s and 8s.

Have to say also that the olive kit brings a lot of fun to the table - so glad that I kept these old boxes and have been able to get them back into service, something warm and familiar in using this classic

kit :slight_smile:

6 Likes

They look great in piano black in your space Dusty! V nice :+1:

1 Like

Thank you. It’s been raining here this morning so I’ve moved them slightly closer together and a little further from the rear wall. Now to have a listen after that work out!! We moved house two years ago,and what with work and family life I’m still undecided on the 808’s final position. Heck, still raining so nothing else to do but have a play!!!

1 Like

I am hoping the mid and top end opens up a little bit with run in - the bass is doing it’s job from the off, but the balance across the range is slightly off this morning. I really should know better after all these years than to bother listening to new speakers, so I’ve decided to shut the door and just leave it be whilst it plays for a few days.

1 Like