Kudos C20 S20 and Titan 606

Fair enough. As well as distance from the wall could it also be that the significantly larger room is producing a different in-room bass response from your speakers. It could be worth downloading software like REW and running a low frequency sweep/particular frequencies through your system. You could then go round your room to see where the bass response is more powerful and where it is less so. You could then locate your listening position where the speaker centre line and greater bass output intersect. There are theories about halves and thirds down the length of the room and where bass frequencies are more/less powerful. It could be worth looking this up. As well as influencing loudness, the listening distance can be used as a form of tone control.

1 Like

You’re going to have to audition speakers in your home. Each room is different, and especially with rooms that are far from “ideal, hi fi showroom” rooms, you’ll really need to match your speakers to your room. I know that can be difficult, but buying $3 -6000 speakers without an in-home listen first is very risky.

2 Likes

I want to say please try the existing speakers against the right hand wall. But there is either probably some physical reason why you cannot, or you have tried it already and you don’t like it, but not told us.

Anyway, I hope it works out whichever path you take.

1 Like

@damy79, is your floor solid? If so, I wonder whether down-firing speaker designs could work well in your room.

Yes the floor is solid, gres not wood. The best should be to test other loudspeaker in my room but the home test is not easy in my region, quite impossible.

I’ll try to put the speaker closer the right wall to test what may happen. In order to limit the side reflection I guess I should increase also the toe-in

Why do you believe that you can’t position a sub properly?

Hi, You may have misunderstood me. I’m suggesting placing both the existing speakers so that their backs are to the right hand wall in your picture.

The listening position would then be to the left of the pic. In other words, the orientation of the speakers would change through 90 degrees.

But there is probably some reason why you cannot do it.

1 Like

I upgraded from C2s to Super 20s to the Titan 606s. Here are some thoughts:
C2s - vague bass at best. The tweeter did some songs better than I’ve ever heard any other tweeter do. To die for. Integration of mid/tweeter not the best - it’s all in the tweeter, as one of my local dealers commented.
Super 20s. Better, way better. Tweeter too hot like commented here - and really sensitive to the electronics. I heard a clear difference/upgrade moving from a Nap200 to Nap250 to Nap300 to Nap500. In some respects, it worked best with the Nap500 system (no surprise) - it really let the electronics come through. It really became a different speaker with the 500. The better the electronics, the better the tweeter - and you didn’t feel the hot tweeter anymore. But yeah - super revealing of any deficiencies upstream - you’ll feel it with the tweeter. The issue with it really was that there was some music that was magical with it - and some that was unlistenable. Jazz horns could not be tamed. Maybe that’s just real - a Jazz horn is probably not a pleasant sound, but I guess I’d prefer listenability over reality.
Still something magical if flawed.

The Titan 606s - I can only think the designers fixed up all issues with the previous series. The speakers does the magical think of being super well behaved and sweet - while maintaining that all important tension. Not many speakers do this - most either get too aggressive, in your face - exciting but tiring after a little while - or worse, super sweet and well behaved but ultimately boring.
This manages the balance well.

One thing that did surprise and sort of disappoint me - I only ever heard these with the Nap500, Nap250DR and the SN3. There isn’t really much of a difference between the Nap250 and the Nap500 with these speakers. Certainly not as night and day as with the Super20s. Or not in your face difference. Ultimatley the 500 shines through - mostly in the ease at which it plays music department - but nothing that hits you on the head with.
Not sure if that’s a positive or a negative… but maybe that’s some solace if you’re not going with a 500 with these speakers. I would suggest getting a 300 to go with these speakers - but a SN3 will work very well too.

In any case - I’ve never been able to hear and like Pink Floyd on a Naim system - preferred it with McIntosh + Sonus Fabers. But those memories are from more than 10 years ago - I’m sure that my tastes have changed enough that I would find that system a snore fest now.

1 Like

@damy79 - these kudos will not work where you have them positioned. These have to be closer to a back wall.
Get some Harbeths - they will love the free room. The need the free room.

2 Likes

@MMky, how close do you have your 606 to the back wall, and your S20 in the past?

Cheers!

1 Like

Have to agree with MMky regard to the 606 having upgraded from Spendor D7s a few months ago.

In my room the speakers are either side of a chimney breast/fireplace the front of the speaker are beyond the chimney breast when the dealer installed the 606s he put them in the same position as the D7s but upon listening the soundstage was not quite right moving the speakers 50mm closer to the back wall made and amazing difference the speakers just seem to disappear.

I was quite surprised at the difference and it shows the importance the correct room position can make also the difference between different speakers.

1 Like

Move right speaker closer to the wall, try sone toe in, and buy some material like wood, or paneling, or othe and attach it to the shelf units behind the speakers and run the all the way to the floors. This would be like a door or over to keep the bass from escaping under that tv unit,

Scott,

2 Likes

My room sucks - and I don’t listen critically - so doesn’t matter. Probably 18-24" - but I’ve got huge glass panels too behind the speakers making things worse.

I’m listening to some music right now, but I’m in the next room. I’ve got a system in this room too but can’t be bothered to turn it on.

Rather than risking thousands on speakers that may or not work, it would be far simpler to remove the wall unit. Put the speakers 20cm from the wall, the Quadraspire between them and the TV on the wall above it. Then get a nice stylish bookcase to display the books and other stuff elsewhere in the room. If done well it could look really nice and would be far cheaper. The current unit is something of a monster.

1 Like

This may be a good test to check if reducing virtually the distance to the back wall something will be improved!I’l do it during the WE.

If I change the living room furniture I have to be ready for divorce also. It may be a good possibility to get it :slight_smile:

I was thinking it may be a possibility to at least consider. It may be cheaper than new speakers. The unit seems extremely large and there may be a better way.

:slight_smile: . Titan 606 is my dream but they cost to much, specially here in Italy and there are not s/h nowhere, specially in white finish as I need.

1 Like

The Titan 606 very likely won’t work where the C20s are, and the rest your system isn’t really good enough for them. That is not meant to sound harsh, but you shouldn’t think that simply buying a better version of what you have now is the answer. If you cannot get rid of the unit, and if you cannot put the speakers elsewhere in the room, you need to be looking at speakers that work in free space. Harbeth is an obvious suggestion, though the sound is different to the rather bright Kudos. The ATC SCM40 is another good choice, it’s cheaper and comes in white, and the 250 should be just sufficient.