Kudos C20 S20 and Titan 606

That might well exceed the financial loss from any wrong speakers… :scream:

There is an old joke. “Do you know why divorce is so expensive?” “Because it’s worth it.”

A NAP250DR is not enough for a Titan 606? What may be the best choice without change the amp? Probably keep my Kudos C20 and spend some time to adjust positioning. In case find a S20 in white finish :slight_smile:

Unfortunately I cannot lie down further visible cable and wirelss subwoofer may not the best choice

I went from C20 to 606. I don’t think they are room fussy, mine were close to rear wall to start with, now moved away by9” and to my ears there is no difference!

2 Likes

What amp you use to drive you 606? Many thanks!

Supernait2. Probably not the best amp to drive them, I am looking out for a 300.

1 Like

I have a 250DR, it’s not a 300 but may be enough!?

Hi damy,
You have received many recommendations re more expensive Kudos designs. However, given your larger room and need to position the speakers 55+cm out from the back wall, I would change tack.

If you can, audition a pair of Proac D20R or its sibling the D30RS.

The D20R presents a fairly easy load for an amplifier, yet thrives on better amplification. A 250DR will drive it and more importantly control it beautifully.

It is designed to be positioned 50+cm from a back wall and has a bottom positioned reflex port, which eases room positioning. It goes deep, too. The ribbon tweeter is effortlessly unforced yet oh so revealing. Piercing it absolutely isn’t.

We nearly bought a pair of D30R myself a few years ago. Only the ART speakers persuaded us otherwise and the ARTs were considerably more expensive.

Hope this helps, BF

1 Like

It is inevitable on a thread like this that you will gets lots of recommendations of alternative speakers. Problem is each is someone else’s favourite in their room with their ears but that’s no guarantee they’ll work in your room with your ears. Instead, I have a more radical suggestion but at least it’s costless.

In your first sentence you say you’re “very satisfied” with the C20s so something must be right. Moving any speakers to a new room is likely to change the sound signature. Often these changes take time to adjust to. So I would move the speakers back to the best position you have found so far and then just listen to lots of music. Choose music that you and your wife both like, music that moves you, music that gives you solace in these dark times. Don’t try to analyse the sound you’re getting, just relax and enjoy. Wait at least a month before doing anything else. My guess is that as your ears and brain become accustomed to the sound, you will view it’s strengths and weaknesses differently. By then, you might even find that something as simple as increasing the volume a little and adding a few soft furnishings to mitigate the extra brightness is all you need.

Oh, and do follow the advice from @trickydickie and put a proper Naim power supply in you upgrade plans.

Roger

3 Likes

During this WE I tried again several placement and now the bass has been gained a bit more. The right loudspeaker is at 45cm from the side wall (tweeter-wall). At the beginning the early reflection damaged the mid range but I tried also an acoustic panel which I had stored in the attic. The panel is a bass trap 1200x600x100mm. Now the mid-high is a bit too much tamed but unexpectedly the bass response is better, deeper,more controlled and emphasize.
I expected less bass with a bass trap but I got a gain . Good news but I need to absorb less otherwise the sound will get slower. I think that with the right panel, absorb type or absorb/diffuser type I may definitely improve my situation without any changing in loudspeakers. S20 are always in my mind as excuse to change in finish in white but this is another story :-), pheraphs better keep C20 and looking for a 300DR!!!

1 Like

The 250DR will drive 505, 606, 707 and 808 perfectly well. It’s just that the 300 and indeed 500 will do it better.

Regards,

Lindsay

1 Like

I don’t doubt that the 250 will ‘drive’ the 606. I merely suggested that the system wasn’t really good enough for them. I don’t consider it sensible to use a £9,000 speaker with a CDX2, 282 and 250. Others might, of course.

Surely a free space design would be your dream.

1 Like

It is the irrational part of our hobby! I like the new shape and I like Kudos sound of my C20 so I guess that 606 may be the natural path but I know that they are too much expensive and not suitable for my not optimal placement in the room. As mentioned above I think to spend some cash in some acoustic panels to treat early reflection on the side right wall. I think to get improvements.

About 3 years ago, I heard the 707 in an active system with 2 250DR at the Acoustica Show. That was finger-licking good – really enjoyable with massive scale. If you like your neighbours you can’t have such system in a semi-detached or terraced house. The temptation to turn up the volume would be too high… :wink:

In my view, that system smashed the Focal/Statement Pre/500DR system in the other room. Assuming the 707 and 606 have the same “DNA” I would would aspire a 250DR-based active system with 606 rather than looking at the 300DR. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

P.S. There was a thread about that Acoutica Show three years ago in the old Forum. It might be possible to get more information about the active system there. I remember that quite a few people thought that the Kudos room was the best room of the Show.

2 Likes

I went to an acoustica / kudos active / passive demo last September (or thereabouts - not quite sure of the date) Heard 606 and 707 active and passive. Previously heard 808 at 2019 acoustica show active And 505 passive at 2018 acoustica show. Loved the sound of all of them - best in show every time for me - I just like the Titan sound with naim. Much prefer over B&W (a friend now has 802D3s powered by a single 500 which I don’t like as much as my SL2s powered 2x300 active - I have never heard a B&W speaker that I really like, even though my friend’s set were set up by Geoff of acoustica so no doubt properly installed)

I think in all those examples power was from a 300 when passive and 300s when active - I think they were all designed to sing with 300s. In the shop (ND555 and 552) the 606 active did nothing for me that my sl2s (active with 2x300) don’t already but the 707s were just totally lovely. At some point (if I can ever afford them) I will have a 707 dem at home. But kudos might be making the 700007 by the time I have saved up :grin:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.