Kudos KS1 v DIY Mogami w3104 speaker cable (kudos speaker owners might want to take a look)

If using a Naim amp requiring the speaker cable to provide correct loading, biwiting - symmetric or asymmetric as per the above, it would be necessary to calculate the combined inductance and capacitance.- 3.5-20m of NACA5 as one cable may not be correct with a second cable whether identical or different.

Iā€™m using 4x 135ā€™s so Iā€™m pretty sure it doesnā€™t matter.

The vitus can easily take 2 different connections on each speaker out, as it can have bananas or spade fittings.

1 Like

Just to clarify things.

I was just thinking why dont we use different speaker cable for each driver unit.
Obviously not every speaker can, but lots off naim speakers can, along with kudos, that lots off naim systems run these days.

As most speaker cables either sound bright or dull, etc. Therefore why not run different cables that work best for each drive unit.
Thats what i have done for now, but maybe the morgana will come good, but whatever for now while the morgana burns in, i will keep it like this as it just sounds so much nicer

The only issue with that, given that this is the Naim Forum and the majority use Naim amplifiers, is that biwiring is very much not recommended. So while two sets of cables can be connected to peopleā€™s Kudoses, they canā€™t be connected at the amplifier end. It will only work with Naim speakers when run actively, which most people donā€™t do. But if it works for you, thatā€™s great.

Well yes, but whats stopping active guys also running different cables?
Thats what i am getting at, why use the same cables, as surely this is holding things back, unless i guess you have a cable that just works brilliantly on all drive units

Nothing. All Iā€™m saying is that it will apply to very, very few people.

1 Like

Yes, probably, but i was just a bit surprised that i hadnā€™t thought of it before or ever seen anyone else running different cables.
As i had never run but the same cables in all my years of running active naim systems, as said never even thought of doing it

I did this about 25 years ago when there was a bit of a fad about it in hifi circles.

Chord Odyssey and DNM Reson I recall.

G

As said never came across it before, and it just him me sunday.
Seems to all be fine, amp isnā€™t getting warm, etc.
Will just see how it goes and try it back with just ks1, and mogami at some point soon once i feel like reaching down the back of the hifi.

2 Likes

I remember reading, back in the late 80ā€™s, of some experimentation with different cables for different drivers. General thinking at the time was that thin cable was good for high frequency, medium size cable for the mids and thick (even solid core) for the bass. Sounds pretty logical to me. After all isnā€™t this what SuperLumina tries to achieve with its graduated cable cores?

2 Likes

Looking a bit nicer now

7 Likes

Very nice Dunc, when does full scale production start? :slightly_smiling_face:

Looks like Chord and Witch Hat have some competitionā€¦

2 Likes

Youā€™re so kind, but i donā€™t think they have anything to worry about.
They would have looked better in black, but at 16mm diameter a black cable running along the floor stick out somewhat.
But pleased with my effort, they just need to come good on sound now, as if not then itā€™s been a waste off time, but atleast they didnā€™t cost much, just less than Ā£200 all in, as the bananas cost the most as they are good quality ones.

2 Likes

Chord Music cables are very expensive indeed but for a 500 system or Vivaldi apex etc itā€™s price is relative and the outcome is worth it in my opinion.
The chord music jumpers are a must for the 808s in my view. Also not cheap speakers so the price is relative.

The KS1 are a real bargain but far away from Sarum T and music are miles ahead of Sarum M.

If I had Music XLRs and a system at your level I would look for a good price or an ex demo pair of Music speaker cables. The newer ones have ChorAlloy plated connectors.

3 Likes

On a lark I decided to try a pair of Mogami 3082 speaker cables in my office system: NDX/555/SN2/HiCap/Wharfdale Lintons. I purchased a premade 18ā€™ set off of Amazon from a company called Worlds Best Cables. Iā€™ve purchased Mogami XLR cables from them in the past for my home theater. They appear to be well made and a bargain compared to the usual suspects.

Itā€™s early, but I am impressed with the sound. Overall Iā€™d say thereā€™s more resolution compared to NACA5. Deeper bass is what I noticed first and there is an ā€œopennessā€ to the sound. Need to get more hours on them before a final decision.

2 Likes

I tried mine last night on there own again, only this time i connected them to the top box rather than the bottom box.
They still sounded the same, great bottom end, but topend just lacking the detail, and sparkle.
So once again i am back to mogami just on the bass, and KS1 on the mid/treble.
This does sound much better, and better than just using the KS1 on there own.
But i am really hoping that the Mogami w3104 comes to life soon, as if not then i will keep on running like i am till i can get some music cables secondhand for a fare price.

A bit more diy this morning, as decided to cut off the chord ends and make a better job off it all with some better ends that match and work better with the connections i am using.
Old

New

Going to do both ends the same

2 Likes

Reading through historical posts the chord plugs are about the worst to use with KS-1 good choice to change.
I use ordinary Deltron ones on the speaker ends and Naim plugs at the amp. :+1:t2:

2 Likes

Well i got the spade ends to make up mogami jumpers, but its looking more like i will be carrying on with the twin sets off speaker cables, so decided to improve the KS1 ends.
After all i got the KS1 for free, so nothing to lose

1 Like