Kudos KS1 v DIY Mogami w3104 speaker cable (kudos speaker owners might want to take a look)

…just to clarify, is this still w3104 underneath that fancy braiding?

Yes it is.

I am still running the Mogami on the bass, and the KS1 on the mid/treble, on my 808’s.
As i haven’t bothered to make up my Mogami jumper cables as yet, because i am loving the sound that i have doing it this way.

Had a long conversation with John Burns at Pear Audio today (what a helpful chap) about this whole topic as I am a long standing Shahinian owner and about to embark on experimenting with this spproach. He is recommending Mogani 2972 and connecting Y&R to +ve and B&O to -ve to get the best results and achieve the correct inductance. He talks about conversations with Julian Verehker about alternate cabling ideas which certainly impressed in terms of his knowledge of Naim. Is this still the way to go or has further experimentation achieved better results with alternate options the Mogani way? I.e. is 3104 considered to be better than 2972?

2 Likes

I just went with the w3104 as it was, or so i was told the best one to use for what i wanted to do.
But all you can really do is try for yourself. At least it’s cheap per meter.

It’s generally 2972 that is preferred, but as Dunc says the only way to know for yourself is to listen for yourself

Where did you source the materials (outside of the core cable) you are using for that very nice looking construction please?

That’s what John recommended to me too @pslosarc . Is he also still recommending the Pomona branded banana plugs and to not solder them - just screw them down into the plug?
That’s was his advice to me several years ago and it sounds great that way.
I bought a set of KS-1 speaker cables to try a little while ago. They sound great, but there’s more air, scale and ultimately greater believability in the Mogami 2972 to my ears in my system with my music.
The KS-1’s are on the subs bench …

1 Like

A bit off topic… John’s house popped up on the BBC series ‘Villages by the Sea’. Even Mrs n noted the Compasses at 11:55 in the Alnmouth episode.

2 Likes

Yes he is, the gold plated 4897 stackable - just ordered some. Mechanical or crimped preferred over soldered. I am currently running WH Phantom with my Obelisks. It will be interesting to see if the Mogami trumps the Phantom with the new Classics.

1 Like

Thanks, that’s really useful. 4897 is a new recommendation from John. Maybe also a new product (?)
He previously recommended these 1330 models
The downside being it was extremely difficult to fit 2 strands of 2972 into each side without reaming the hole to a bigger size. Very fiddly and hard to get a tidy job.
Comparing the spec sheets, it looks like the 4897 offers a useful bit more space to feed the cable into, which should help ease the problem. I’m assuming that’s why John has changed his recommendation. I’ll order up some 4897’s now and hopefully achieve a better fit :blush:.
Really helpful info @pslosarc
Thank you!

Yes, looks like 4.22mm vs 3.8mm (if I’m reading the spec sheet correctly), so should be an easier fit?

Do you consider any particular length to give best sound quality (ie recommend 5-10m of NacA5) or does it not matter with Mogami?

I actually have 2 sets. A 6m pair and a 9m. I notably prefer the 9m. I think 6m is a minimum and longer is better. That’s with a 500DR driving Obelisk 2’s.

2 Likes

Hi off ebay, loads of different colours to choose from.
I don’t think it’s allowed to post links to things like this? If its fine i will obviously

1 Like

Plus the plugs i used can except the twin cables ok, quite easily, and are just screw fix, i didn’t solder them.
Easy to make them up, very cheap to do as well.
I am certainly enjoying them on the bass drivers.

I believe it was Richard Shahinian who first recommended the Pomona plugs, and also said that on no account should solder ever be allowed to touch a banana. Interesting how different approaches seem to work with different products, this being precisely the opposite of what Naim recommend.

So I see now why John recommended stackable, by far the easiest way to get a solid connection. Any thoughts on if these cables are directional?

If you buy the right connectors then it’s easy to get 2 cables in one joint.
I would rather have the right size connectors than do this above.
Also i couldn’t find anything on directional or not with the Mogami w3104

Plus if you are going to make cables up, then definitely use heat shrink on the ends to seal from air. This will help prevent the cables from corroded at the exposed ends

Which connectors would you recommend?

Hi @pslosarc
The cable is directional. The script on the cable sheath should read from Amp to speaker.

Is that piggy back stacking what John Burns recommended? Is this what stackable means? It’s hard to see how that arrangement will fit securely into the terminals on the underside of the Obelisks(?). Also just doesn’t seem a great idea in general to me.

Also, it seems you’re combined plugs aren’t following what John suggested:

You want red and yellow in the +ve plugs, brown and orange in the -ve.
Happy listening!