Kudos Super 20A, good or bad?

I have been given the opportunity to buy a pair of Kudos Super 20A at a very favorable price from a dealer, but I have to decide pretty quickly. I therefore wonder if you who know the speakers can tell me what you think of them? Are they a good match together with Naim?

1 Like

Hi Bjorn,
The S20A is a great speaker and works well with Naim. I would say that you really need to listen to them, preferably at home, before buying. I had a pair on home demo and found the treble too hot for my ears (my room, my system, my ears). I have also found this when I tried them at a dealers, although to a lesser extent.
Now for the good things, they work well with room boundaries, have a great level of detail and a slightly forward presentation. They also have the ability to go active, which improves them.
You really do need to listen to them. I went from X2 to T808, so obviously a Kudos lover, but the S20A just weren’t right for me. Many folks love them and have no issue with he top end, so it is definitely something that is system and room dependent, which is why I would recommend a home demo if possible.

3 Likes

I had a demo of the S20a on the end of NAC282 / NAP250. I was very impressed and would have probably gone with them until I was presented with an opportunity of the 606 at a good price.
I did find the S20a a little over exuberant with NAC A5 though, but I suspect the demo room and the 282 influenced that to a degree. The switch to a different cable balanced it out.
I would have been very happy with them if the 606 hadn’t entered the equation!
Hope that helps, and that a home demo is successful.

1 Like

Excellent, and not room fussy.

1 Like

Great review on a AV related forum website recently.

1 Like

I got a pair of Kudos Super 20a’s just before Xmas following trials at my dealer and at home. Tested these against Fyne & Spendor A7 and for my ears these were just fantastic. Bass was sharp & pronounced with full rich mids & stunning highs with vocals (particularly female) very impressive. As others have mentioned I also find these very forgiving re room placement. I am running these as passive but it’s nice to know the option is there for active.

1 Like

Hi Iain,
It was sad to hear, that’s exactly the problem I have with my current speakers, the treble i too hot for my ears. I will get them home for a home demo so it’s good to know. The other characteristics, on the other hand, sound very good. Seems to be an interesting demo.
Thank you for your detailed and interesting answer.

Thanks for the answer Steve, I use Naca 5 so good to know before the home demo.

Like Steve57 above, I demoed the 20A and thought they were very detailed and an excellent speaker, until I then tried the 606s. However, the 606s are twice the price! I would have been happy with the 20A though. Very transparent and detailed. Amazing with piano notes etc. Some people on this forum really love them, and are running them with some very high-end naim kit.

I have had Kudos X3’s, for about 12 months now - and I love them. They were - I was told (by a well-known Leicestershire dealer) - traded in, for a pair of Super 20A’s…

3 Likes

I love my X3s too.
Only Kudos know why they stopped making them. :wink:
Half the price of Super 20s :thinking:

3 Likes

I was told its because they are a very small company and they would rather make the bigger (= more expensive) models…

I’m also looking at these. But against Spendor D7.2, I’ll be running a Chord Hugo TT2/ Supernait 3 /HC2DR and I’m no further ahead in deciding what to get.

I would suggest using the Kudos speaker cable, although on older Naim amplifiers Naim only recommend their own speaker cable, some thing to do with LCR characteristics.

2 Likes

Are you able to test both at home - it took me 4 weeks of testing Kudos Spendor & Fyne at home but well worth it in the end

Which Fyne model did you compare with?

Initially I was looking to replace my kef stand mounts with stand mounts so went down the Fyne F1 5. While good in lows & mids with great detail I found it too bright for me.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.