Kudos Titan 707 v Naim SL2

Has anyone done a straight comparison? Been running the SL2s for a while so just wondered if anyone’s heard both and if they thought the 707 was an upgrade over the SL2 or not?

Pre/Amp are 552/500DR BTW.

Cheers, Rack.

A nice choice to have Rack. No idea on SQ differences, but a pair of Titans would look rather good in your room :wink:

1 Like

I changed from SBL’s which I had for 10+ years, first thing that hit me was the vocals which were so much better and than the greater slam and room filling sound. As I understand the SL2’s do things a little better than the SBL’s but I would still imagine they would be a good deal better than the SL2’s and can be used close against the wall but are a little bigger. Well worth an audition!

1 Like

A quick search and some interest too for that speakers showed me that 3 members here preferred the 606 vs 707.
I found most users with 505, 606 or 808. You should read some Kudos threads .

1 Like

It’s been a long time since I heard the SL2s, but I was never particularly taken with them. I certainly wasn’t convinced enough to change from the SBLs I was using at the time. However, I have heard the 707s quite recently (on the end of 552/500 amplification) and would say that they offer a much bigger scale than what I recall of the SBLs. I guess that’s from deeper bass response, but I also recall an almost tangible three-dimensional characteristic in the presentation. Certainly worth a demo.

2 Likes

If you do audition the titans I’d be fascinated to hear what you thought. I run SL2s in a full active 500 system using ND555 and CD555. It all sounds fantastic and I’ve no plans to change, but it does seem that titans are extremely popular.
Please keep us posted!!

3 Likes

I had SL2s with a 500 system and an nSub to add scale and tried the original two-box Titan, which had a nice sweet top end, but added little in scale and lost a lot to the SL2 in drive, detail, texture and articulation. Everyone in the house preferred the SL2s and by quite a margin.

I have no idea how much the new design improves on what original offered.

2 Likes

I had SL2s driven actively by a pair of 300dr (supercap dr on the snaxo):

1. I ended up with 808s driven by single 500 which I consider to be superior to active SL2s
  2. Loved the 707s I heard driven actively (pair of 300dr) at the dealer showroom. Didn’t listen to these at home as I went to 808 instead (see 1!)

So am not sure if I should/can answer your question - not heard SL2s or 707s passive with a 500. Have heard SL2s and 606s and 707s active with 2x300dr. The 707s were hugely better than the 606s (when both active) to my ears

1 Like

Will do FR. Or you can read them for me and report your findings back here for me? :wink: :smiley:

That sounds promising Clive.

@Michaelb Interesting.

@TimOopNorth I’m guessing 707s would work Ok with a passive 500. It’s a great amp.

Hi RackKit, you need to hear them in your room. I know of one person who gave up on them due to excessive bass response, and I can’t say that the ‘hard against the wall philosophy’ applies from what I’ve heard. ATB Peter

1 Like

As PeterR says you need to get a pair in your room to see if they work there. The buyers’ (or non-buyers’? Potential buyers’?) views for the 707s seem very varied indeed. The 808s are supposed to be the least fussy re placement in a room. I liked the extra bass the 707s had over the 606s but that was in acoustica’s dem room so may have been different in my room or yours

1 Like

Very funny Rackkit. Yes, of course, I will do a report and send you it by fax :grin:
But seriously there must be a reason why 3 or 4 different persons preferred the 606 vs 707.

Room size, system, personal taste maybe ?

2 Likes

For example Anon said that:

anon37289833

Mar '19

I prefer the 606 to the 707. The 606 sound better balanced across the frequency range. Have you done this comparison as well?

1 Like

Or Antz:

Antz

Mar '19

Having heard the new Titan range from 505 to 808, I think there are 3 sweet spots = 505, 606 and 808

I was not that engauged by the 707, much prefered the 606 in sound - the 808’s are the finest speaker I have heard period - and when matched with NAIM electronics they just come alive - and Kudos are easy to drive

my choice is the T505 as I have limited lisening space

1 Like

707s are the only ones I haven’t heard - I’ve had extensive listening time with 505/606/808 - all share a similar character, but get better the further up the range. I’d be surprised if the 707s aren’t “better”, but it all depends on the room/system. More is not always better in this game :slight_smile:

Anecdotal evidence is a dangerous thing.

And yes, 3 or 4 responses is anecdotal.

I have heard the 606 and 707 a few times at shows and dealers in both passive and active guise. Each time I preferred the 707s, but that doesn’t mean they are always the better speaker in all situations, in all systems, and preferred by all who hear them.

5 Likes

Huh! So they say……

6 Likes