Kudos Titan 707 v Naim SL2

That is alright, but would be despite very interesting to hear @RackKit s impressions.
Hopefully he will write down his decission here :slight_smile:

Ever hear Kharma speakers? There is a guy on Audioshark with a full 500 system running Kharma Exquisite Midi 3.0 speakers,seems to be over the moon happy.:slight_smile:

I feel Peter was joking….

2 Likes

I know FR :pensive: ‘Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit’! Best Peter

1 Like

I don’t think so. Personally I like sarcasm. I understood that you don’t believe that there’s a speaker considered as being the best in the world in its price range.

The Kharmas are up to 10times more expensive then a 707 :slight_smile:

Sure,but price was not mentioned in the “wipe the floor” statement.:slight_smile:

Maybe this guy doesn‘t have easy access to UK speakers and doesn‘t know better? Ignorance can be bliss…

Just joking, of course… :wink:

2 Likes

I certainly will :slight_smile:

I certainly wouldn’t :slight_smile:

Me neither badger :star_struck: and SL2s in a medium sized room and firing across ( assisting in not sounding too lean) can be a hard act to follow. Clearly 707s will add more meat on the bone to the replay, but a compromise lends itself with other aspects of the 707s in my view. Clearly working on the popularity vote here :rofl: and I’ll shut up now! ATB Peter

I’d be interested in what compromise the 707s bring in your view, presumably room related? I had also intended to include PMC speakers on my short list - a friend strongly recommended the mb2-xbd-se after a listen. He was putting a studio together. He eventually went with the Kii Audio Three speakers which I have heard and they were excellent.

Choice of speakers is the most personal and easily the most difficult to get right in our listening environments. The hifi gear we obtain is the easy bit really. The room can of course be tweaked up to a point, but only up to a point. Again Low frequency pressurisation always sadly rules in this game, and in this regard your speaker choice has to reflect the volume of your room I’m afraid and of course how much ‘incorrect’ and surplus bass output, you are prepared to accept to listen to. If not you start treating like I’ve done, but in reality only a dedicated room can be treated properly, as it invariably ends up looking like a mad professor’s laboratory. I’ll leave it at that….:crazy_face: ATB Peter

5 Likes

You could have a home dem of those badger :+1:t3: And why not? ATB Peter

Yes agree.

The Kii rear wall DSP is remarkable technology - listening to those speakers taught me what a proper soundstage can sound like, the precision of the placement of each instrument in the mix was particularly noticeable, Hence I invested in room treatment for my s400s - they got a lot better but never matched what I heard from the Kiis. With the room treatment the 707s soundstage with 552/500 is also top class in my room. Enjoying the 500 and don’t want to remove it from the chain which is what the Kiis require.

1 Like

I have 808’s in a relatively small 14 x 12 x 9ft dedicated room and they sound fabulous. I use a couple of Vicoustic corner bass traps but have just focused on reducing reflective sound as much as possible. I’ve done it with a full wall of LP’s, thick curtains, lots of canvass art work on the walls, a large rug on the floor and a throw over my leather sofa. No glare, not dead or boomy. Maybe I’ve just dropped lucky with the right amount of diffusion and absorption. Go figure!

3 Likes

Yes really looking forward to hearing the 808s. I am also hopeful my low frequency control (bass traps, bookcase) will bring out the best in the 808s. For me the reflection point that made the biggest difference in my room was immediately behind the speaker. I put a GIK diffusion panel there and it really speeded everything up. Learning from hearing the Kiis. Also getting the tv between the speakers flat against the wall and treated.

1 Like

I have compared SL2’s to the 707. For me no joy. I have previously run active SBL’s and upgraded to the SL2’s about 15 years ago. Whatever others may have found, for me this was a massive upgrade in sound quality and enjoyment. Over this time I have made many upgrades to the electronics, the SL2’s really can take whatever you through at them, but in my opinion they must be run active to really shine. I have tried with a passive set up (300DR) but find the active (twin 250DR) far superior. The 707 is a very nice speaker but I did not feel it gave me any advantages, and at the price I would not make the change. I am soon to embark on an upgrade spree and will have both 707 and 808 on the list to audition but using a single 500DR, and most likley in passive mode. I have been searching for an upgrade to the SL2’s for some years but this has always been achieved with better electronics, but I really would like to reduce the box count. I suspect like others I may be stuck with SL2’s for some time and that is no hardship!

Post script: I failed in my box count reduction. I am running in a pair of Kudos Titan 808’s active with 3 250DR’s Chord cables, Snaxo, Supercap, and an upgraded front end ND552 +2 555 PS s, NAC 552 plus 555 PS. Already sounding good, box count a little scary

8 Likes

Very much with you in your line of thinking. The SL2s like active driving, and strangely I felt a single 500 was to much for them in my previous room firing the long way into an 8x5 metres space, where they sort of broke at the listening level I like to listen to. I had them for 11 years run by 2x300s, 1x500 and 1x300 (wonky active) and in the end a single 500. Here is a photo of them after room refurb and before our furniture went in:

As for box count I’m with you also :rofl:

All the best and enjoy Peter

12 Likes

You were living in a castle, or church? Very nice .

3 Likes

Hi FR, I designed that wall and had it built trying to imagine, that I was living in a castle I suppose :star_struck: ATB Peter

3 Likes