Kudos Titan 707 vs 808

Ahh, but mine don’t have 2 metres to the corners, push mine back and they will be in the corners resulting in a bass heavy dull sound.

As you can see there is not much room to the side of each speaker.

2 Likes

Polarbear, they look absolutely fabulous in your room - as for the lower drivers I would be worrying too much for I have a nearly 3 year old daughter and two cats strolling the room regularly. So at the moment the 707s layout is very welcome from this point of view…
The pic is some handy snapshot - so forgive the distortion…

4 Likes

I can see the attraction of the 707’s and they look very nice there.

We’re lucky,we have the space to be able to have the speakers where they are. It’s taken awhile to get everything the way we want it and it’s all about the journey as well as the music :blush:

I may be able to get hold of a pair of 606 from Kudos direct (no Kudos support in my country).

Would the 606 work in a 8m x 4m room ? The 84db rating worries me a bit. Having said that, I have a 300DR. Kicking this idea of either this or the Neat XL6 (in another thread…).

Cheers

@jodl - that is a lovely system you have there. Also, always liked the design of Finite Elemente racks, and their turntable shelf you have is rather elegant too, especially in the silver and black. The plywood record cubes are cool as well.

Should be fine. When I demo’d them at my dealer, it was in a room not much smaller than that. And they absolutely love a 300DR.

If this is of any comfort to Seadog, when I was having a few tweaks to my record player, various options were played back via 552/ 300/ 808’s and although the dealer was slightly apologetic for not having a 500 to hand, I thought the 300 fed plenty of juice to/ control over the 808’s which sounded fab. This suggests to me that a 300 should be amply sufficient for the smaller Kudos cabinets.

Peter

My Titan T88s are driven nicely with a pair of 135s
David

A dealer told me that the Titan range were developed using NAP300’s. No idea if it’s true, but in my recent demo of 707 and 808 they were driven by 252/300. There was no sense of any short changing that’s for sure. They were driven just fine and sounded great. A room 8m x 4m should be able to accommodate any of the Titan range I would think.

Well then, I’ll put the 606 down as a possible then.

Not familiar with isobaric speakers. Do the 606 have scale and bass of say a ProAc D48 or
Spendor D9 ? As I am very familiar with these. Regarding active upgrades, I remember reading naim cannot support active upgrade with these , very understandable noting who they partner with now, what about the Exposure active recently announced, will they and how will they work with naim gear ?

About ready to drop money on a new set of speakers.
Cannot listen to Kudos as they are not supported in my Country.
Can get the 606 direct from Kudos at a pretty good price.
I am reasonably sure they will work my room, as I have been in email contact with Kudos.

Just not 100% sure they will do the little things that I value like:

Detailed , but not harsh even at reasonable volume on vocals or electric guitars etc.

Work well at low volume

PRaT , with tunefully bass, I would like deep bass, but willing to give up some deep bass as long as it is tuneful.

Nice soundstage, wide and deep and accurate imaging & placement of vocals etc. in that soundstage.

My benchmark is the ProAc D30/48R for all the above as I have has some experience with them.
But I want a change in direction and want to try an isobaric design because the 606 is much less dominant in the room along with an option to go active at a latter stage. And Kudos ticks a lot of boxes for this.

Just have the small doubt after reading a lot of user feedback that the treble can be a bit hot.
Not so much on the Titan Range , but on previous models that is what some owners have said.

Sorry long post, just want to be as educated as I can be before I make the decision.

That makes sense - I think Kudos’ Derek uses his own 300 to drive various titans. I spoke to him last year at the acoustica show last year, where the 505s were driven by a 300, and this weekend’s acoustica show had 808s powered active by 3x300s

1 Like

Don’t need to worry Seadog, the 606s are tuneful, have a wonderful treble mid-range integration (I found that element even better than the 707s) and are not “hot”. I had S20s before and, in the wrong system, they could be, but the 606s are in a different league entirely. There’s plenty of bass extension if it’s on the recording and they absolutely boogie. They also work really well at low volume; that’s one of my requirements too as I like to listen late into the night/morning.

I’ve not compared them directly to the ProAcs you’re familiar with, but I’d have no hesitation in recommending them.

Cheers Dave and Tim.
I am investigating the Neat XL6 as well and I can source a pair local for about GBP 500 more over the 606.

I suppose it is one of those I cannot go wrong with either one choice.
With the Neat I won’t get the urge to go active like it will with the Kudos…

And that’s where you really need to hear them.

The XL6s are fine loudspeakers but despite both having an Isobaric arrangement, they are quite different to the 606s, which I think are rather more forgiving of less than perfect rooms. I first heard XL6s in a minimalist, decent-sized (quite large) sitting room and they didn’t quite work. I wanted to experiment with their placement but they were positioned where they “had to be” so I remained polite. I heard them again in a smaller room that had a couple of sofas, wall hangings, curtains etc and they sounded great. Whenever I heard 606s, in different rooms, with 252/300DR, 552/500DR, Linn, Devialet, active and passive, they have always sounded superb. But that’s just my opinion.

Can you get to hear them?

Dave, not possible to hear either unfortunately. That is why I am trying to educate myself as best I can and make an informed decision.

I assumed the XL6 had an extra bass driver and that may move more air than the 606. Clearly speaker design and driver integration, cross over design (and quality) all add up in the end and the 606 may well be a bit better speaker. Without both side by side to compare I will never know…

IMHO the Ultimatum XL6s are wonderful speakers which render music beautifully with a light almost delicate touch, but they are now an older design introduced in 2011/12(?). Compared to the previous generation Kudos speakers, the (old) Forum members liked them a great deal but felt that they didn’t have the scale of the Kudos. It’s unfortunate that you can’t compare the XL6s and the Kudos 606 side by side but I would not be surprised if the 606 proved to be the better of the two.

That’s interesting, because the Kudos website has the 606 down as only 84db efficiency. Unless this is a typo. that is an odd specification, and I get that specs. are not the only way a speaker performs in real world rooms. But appears to be a very inefficient spec, for a recent speaker model that is not a sealed box design.

I am not sure what being designed in 2011 has to do with it, the XL6’s are a very fine pair of speaker. Quite different to the Kudos 606’s. Impossible to say which is going to be better in someone else’s room.

However which ever one you go for you will have Avery capable enjoyable speaker.