Largest catalog of cd issues?

So, which artists, bands, etc have the largest catalog of CD issues?

Probably Mozart

1 Like

170 cds

2 Likes

There you go,a lucky guess. :grin:

80 cds

1 Like

99 cds

1 Like

zappa had over 40 studio albums and dozens of of other releases so for contemporary rock he’d be up there

2 Likes

As above I’d suspect it’s between Mozart and J.S. Bach in the classical world. In contemporary music maybe Dylan, 40 studio albums, with his “bootleg” series he has about the same again and then the massive tour releases. He’s well over 100 official non-compilation discs.

2 Likes

Also Neil Young with 44 studio albums.

2 Likes

If you count live concerts the Grateful Dead must be contenders!

Miles Davis Complete Columbia, 70CDs.

Sun Ra must also be up there - Evidence, Saturn etc.

Cliff Richard must be up there.
43 studio albums. Soundtracks. Compilations. The Shadows…

My thought too! 304 albums and 68 compilations according to Discogs.

1 Like

The thread title made me think this was about issues, as in problems, with CDs, as opposed to being about CD catalogues!

If I was a gambling person my money would be on Mozart having the largest catalogue, as has already been suggested. A quick search on Qobuz comes up with 10438 albums available to purchase. Now, I’m not certain all were released as CDs, but I imagine most were as I suspect download-only of digital albums has not been the greatest output for them.

I didn’t think that hard I just answered the question. :grin:

And your suggestion struck me as probably right given how prolific a composer he was, and how popular his music has been even in the modern age. I wondered how it might be possible to find out just how many releases, and thought a quick look at a place likely itself to carry a large number might be the simplest way. I was surprised how big the number! It will, of course, include albums where something by Mozart might be only a small part.

2 Likes

A little night music maybe….

1 Like

Hawkwind (hundreds if you count all the iffy compilations)
or Tangerine Dream

1 Like

I believe the answer is Nana Mouskouri, hundreds of albums apparently. Think classical composers are a red herring tbf, most releases are cover versions surely?

Buckethead maybe? Not convinced all his albums are issued on cd though. He certainly is prolific though