Laser maintenence?

Hi, I know I’ve read or heard somewhere that you should never clean the laser lens with any kind of solution. I think I may have done this sometime in the past (some alcohol solution I think) and wonder if I need to clean the lens with a soft cloth or something similar to remove any alcohol residues/film from the lens [Olive CDX]. BTW, what is the proper way to clean the lens, or is it not to be cleaned at all?

4 Likes

I think the advice is not to touch the lense at all with anything. I would fire off an email to Naim UK for advice, but be prepared for a long wait for an answer.

1 Like

General advice is don’t touch it or clean it unless it has already stopped working. Even then soft brush/blow any dust away before attempting a soft tissue wipe. My elderly nak oms1e had sat in my barn for 6 or so years and didn’t work. I blew out the insides and then treated the lens to the above and it is now singing happily again.

1 Like

Exactly. Best is to never touch the lens with anything as it’s far too easy to do damage or make things worse.

Adam’s post from the old forum might help here:

https://forums.naimaudio.com/topic.php?oid=1566878604361258&coid=159503632588889

1 Like

Well, when I’ve had a problem with a laser not reading a disc properly in the past, I’ve used isopropyl alcohol gently applied with a Q-tip and then wiped dry. Never had any issues.

Best way to contact Naim support is to phone them.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.