Leaving Neverland

And I have always maintained, MJ guilty or not, that these parents should be in jail or have lost their parenting privileges for allowing their kids to go with him just because he was Michael Jackson. Total bull**** “parenting”.

OTOH, if it were my kid, and I was blind enough to permit it, and it really happened, there would be NO amount of money that would buy me off from pressing charges…but again the Catch-22 is that I would never have permitted it in the first place.

2 Likes

The only thing of interest for me in regard to ‘Neverland’ is remembering Robin William’s interview when he in spontanious fashion (very typical of him, bless him!) suddenly got up showed the height by his hands reaching just above the knees and exclaiming at the same time “You got tro be so high to get into Neverand!” Fantastic, I shall miss his sharp wit…!

I take it you’re not familiar with the Ian Watkins (Lost Prophets Band) horror? He’s serving 34 years for his sex crimes against children as young as 12 months. Despite this people are still buying his music today.

The moral dilemma I refer to is nothing to do with acceptability of these types of crime. Of course we all find them repugnant. The two issues you have raised, however, are those of deciding upon guilt without any form of due legal process, and whether or not their artistic output can still be bought and enjoyed regardless of their criminal behaviour. Those are the ‘moral dilemmas’ which you profess not to understand. That’s fine, we each form our own judgements - the whole point of a forum is to discuss and exchange views. I now realise that’s not what you intended to do.

Of course I’m aware of the Lost Prophets singer.
Look I will never ever understand your point of view so let’s just agree to differ shall we.

I was thinking along the same lines.

If it is true, and they where abused by MJ, what kind of relationship do they have with their parents. You’d expect the relationship would be very poor or even none existent. Surely they would blame their parents for allowing them to be abused.

With regards to tolerating this kind of thing, the BBC is more than tolerating. They named a wing of broadcasting house after somebody who married a 15yrs old (who subsequently killed herself), and more.

Isn’t the sge of consent in Germany 13? Shows that not all questions are black and white.

If a UK citizen travels to another country and has sex with somebody under 16, they are breaking the law. The age of consent in that country is irrelevant.

Black and white.

Yes, it’s the reason Brits drive at 70mph on the autobahns.

3 Likes

So which is morally right? German law or UK law? Not black and white!

That’s as black and white as mud, so what you are saying is that the laws of the country where the crime is committed is irrelevant?

@Fatcat When Jerry Lewis married his 13 year old cousin Myra in 1957, he was 22 years old. The union, while morally questionable, was not illegal in the US state where it ocurred. Nevertheless, for obvious reasons, it was kept from the public.

When he arrived in the UK the following year, a journalist did some digging and a scandal broke. Lewis’ British tour was cut short after just three gigs, and he fled back to the States. Now, what The Killer did was illegal in the UK, but as no offence had been committed on British soil (and nobody could prove if he’d had sex with Myra while here), he could not be arrested.

However the scandal followed him home, and he found it very difficult to get work for years afterwards and his career suffered.

Ironically his marriage to Myra was, at 13 years, the second-longest of his many unions.

Would I be correct in assuming the US equivalent of the BBC (if there is one) haven’t named a part of there building after Jerry Lee Lewis.:thinking:

1 Like

Yes, that is correct.

A post on a legal site, written by a UK solicitor:

“Child sex crimes are now punishable in The UK, even if committed abroad and it is not a crime in that country. This is to try and deter “sex tourism”. And there are other crimes where the Prosecution will Act, so just because it was committed abroad does not guarantee that you won’t be prosecuted here.”

I think you got the wrong Jerry Lewis in the above picture. The thread is in regard to Jerry Lee Lewis, the Rock’nRoll star from Lousiana, not the comedian… (unless the above was done on purpose for some unknown reason)

This is Jerry Lee Lewis & his 13 year old wife

It was an extremely humorous reply to Kevins post, (or so I thought), but obviously a bit subtle for some.

But at least Kevin liked/got it.:grinning:

1 Like

Ah so the unknown reason comes to light; ze famous English sense of humour :wink:

I am glad I took it as a joke - I was beginning to wonder if I had seen humor where none existed!

…whether the music is from Michael Jackson or R Kelly, the accusations against them have put a shadow over their music for me. I no longer care to listen to either of them. The mental image I have of the lives they destroyed through their personal actions just takes any possible enjoyment from what entertainment value they offered in the past.

Everyone can make their own minds, but for my piece of mind in this crazy screwed up world, eliminating those two musicians from my listening list just makes it easy for me.

JMHO - YMMV

8 Likes