Left Channel Pop No Sound on 282

Must have been designed by an ex-Naim engineer :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

This was inherited from Snell. Needless to say that NACA5 and SA8s would be a challenge!

1 Like

This part I don’t understand. From what I can see, the DIN on the NDX2 is DIN5 180. AUX2 is a DIN5 240. I don’t see how you could even partially connect them to the point of any contact. I am not going to try, but it does look like you could insert at DIN4 for cable into a DIN5 240 jack. (Someone will be along to correct me if I am wrong.)

And the most puzzling thing is that it only affects the woofer. That does suggest looking at the speaker connections. But then it seems to work fine with RCAs which leads back to DINs. Rinse and repeat.

If it does turn out to be due to a misconnection, many of us have been there. Looking upside down over the back of my Quad Elite preamp, I plugged the RCAs to the amp into the output jacks - unfortunately the TAPE output, not preamp. I’m in need of new woofers though the tweeters seem to have survived. At least it wasn’t Ls3/5as. Oh wait…

I still don’t get why the tweeter works but the bass/mid doesn’t.
I’m sure the connectors he’s talking about will only do left and right not treble and bass. :thinking:

@Skeptikal I’ve done more testing and the left bass cone is working, it just doesn’t produce deep bass so the cone doesn’t vibrate.

@chris_s I’ve switched out my NDX2 for my Uniti2 to rip vinal many times before without issue. This time and in error, I removed the NDX2 DIN at the back of the 282 and tried to insert it into the Phono DIN back of the Uniti2. Heard a loud feedback-type hum and so I stopped. That my not be the reason why the NDX2 is faulty, but there’s a strong chance that this is the reason.

I’ll know more when Focal NA respond with some next steps. They’re backed up at the moment…just my luck :frowning:

Hi
If you see the bass unit and touch it can you spread your fingers out and give it a gentle press and listen for any grainy or crunchy sound. :thinking:

Unless I’ve read the thread wrong, the OP @AFX-451 mentions that both channels work normally with the TT or music player plugged into their 282, but not with the NDX2 which sounds like it has an issue with a duff channel ?

@james_n Yeah, that’s it. Uniti2 plays fine with RCA, but NXD2 does not.

1 Like

Thanks for confirming- no speaker issues then, just the NDX2. Hopefully Focal NA will be in touch soon to get you sorted.

@james_n Let’s hope so. Uniti2 poor substitute as a source, and can’t even see the screen any more lol

1 Like

Update on my NDX2 issue.

It’s repaired and on it’s way back to me. They replaced 2 transistors in the left preamp section, so yeah, a dodgy left channel.

Can’t wait to get it back and warmed up!

Appreciate the insight from all!

Neil

3 Likes