Lifestyle downsize of Hi-Fi system

This discussion is going nowhere. For some, a one box or reduced box solution meets their needs. For others, a multi box solution provides the SQ that floats their boat. This is turning into dogmatic rationalization. Can we move on?

5 Likes

Thanks for that.

I have heard of, and personally heard, several systems in my time that on paper shouldn’t work, but which actaully sounded sublime. One such, many years ago now, was a 42/110 and Kans fronted by a Rega 3. It sounded really excellent - yet conventional wisdom at the time was that a Rega 3 just wasn’t up to the job.

I’ll bet many forum members have similar stories. Might make an interesting thread - Systems that shouldn’t work - but do!

3 Likes

TV Speakers for 2.0 or 2.1 setup.
I chose concentric driver speakers. Good at low volume with a better off axis response.

The Nova is a great hub if you are sticking with Naim.

1 Like

Yes reminds me of the Signals East show quite a few years back when the possible highlight was a Rega P3, Transfiguration cartridge at £1K, Audio Analogue amp £2k and Magneplanner speakers at £3k, made the sweetest music.

4 Likes

Of course I don’t mind the question, Mike. My hearing loss was up to 50dB, though was defined as mild. The aids I was prescribed (Phonak Nathos Nova) have settings of automatic, music, restaurant and TV, though I usually just leave on automatic and forget them - including forgetting to change when listening to music!

After getting them I also trialled some more expensive, fancier ones from a private audiologist, but not really any benefit over the Health Service ones. More detail here (the rest of the thread is interesting, too): Hearing Aids - #31 by Innocent_Bystander

If you haven’t looked already there are several other useful threads here on the subject of hearing aids worth a scan. The first is one in which I asked questions in the lead-up to my getting mine: Hearing loss and the audiophile
and this is a longer one one that includes more technical info: Hearing loss but not enough to be proper hearing loss

Further discussion on hearing aids might be better in one of the dedicated threads rather than divert this one further.

3 Likes

My system besides speakers and subs is basically 4 components. Integrated amp, Streamer, Dac -2 small boxes, power distribution unit. No turntable anymore.

But people who come onto this forum will only do what they want to do.

Do you really worry about whether they heed others’ advice or not?

“It’s a funny old game” is a well worn phrase but not normally applied to hi fi. In the early 80’s tone control were verboten and a 6 pack had nothing to do with the gym. This was the period when the notion of measurements being the ‘be all and end all’ had been consigned to the dustbin as valve designs from the likes of Audio Innovations started to appear and receive plaudits.
I had a 3 box Exposure amp fronted by an LP12 which gave thousands of hours of pleasure but ditched it all in favour of an Atom HE with active speakers from Elac and a pair of stateside cans that weigh a ton but sound sublime (without EQ’ing!) Couldn’t be happier with the results both from aesthetic, convenience and musical enjoyment perspectives……all for 7.5k.

7 Likes

My downsizing came from a cataract and dodgy knees - plus the inevitable wearing out of my audio equipment

I still get outstanding sound from fewer components, but Naim have offered me a quality sound for over 30 years and I no longer worry if product A is better than product B , i just enjoy it and accept that a single box will not be the equivalent in audio terms of a three box system at a higher price

If you have an Atom it may not be as good as a Statement but it will still offer far better sound than most people will think is possible

5 Likes

I still struggle to understand why you would go for the NAIT50 which has no remote volume control with your dodgy knees?

I find the auto cut off an irritant , but I have to get off my backside many times a day . I just have a desire to simplify, this has come with cameras, cars and not just audio

2 Likes

I’ll place my Nait 50 next to my seating position at the “wobbly” knee stage of my life. And at 4.5Kg, the move should be easy.

2 Likes

How do you simplify a car?

1 Like

It’s simple. Ian will walk on his hand and touch the Nait 50 volume with his nose.
IMG_2786

« Moment, moment, i raise the volume down «

4 Likes

By buying the bottom of the range which is not overloaded with useless tech that takes your eyes :eyes: off the road

2 Likes

Sadly I am not a cross between Toulouse- Lautrec and Cyrano de Bergerac

For what it’s worth I wish they had built a remote, but the only time I change inputs is when I load CDs

2 Likes

My Nova living room set up. No TT obvs but we’re very happy with the low visual but high musical impact.

Speakers are Neat Iota Alphas and there is an Audioquest Niagara tucked out of sight.

19 Likes

I thought about it after asking and realised there’s simplifying the car, and simplifying driving, which are not the same, often mutual opposites - automatic transmission, power assisted steering and brakes, traction control, reversing camera, and of course a car with adequate power and with a design that ensures it is surefooted regardless of conditions and driver skill all simplify driving but make the car more complex, and vice versa, the ultimate being autonomous driving. The one recent development that goes a very long way to simplifying the car is electric engine, removing most of the stuff from under the bonnet!

2 Likes

God knows I have a truly crazy number of systems and bits of hifi.

But I am 100% certain that if circumstances change and I could only keep 2 shoebox components that I could do so and be happy.

Not sounding as good isn’t really the issue. It’s sounding “good enough” for your lifestyle and still “good enough” whereby serious musical enjoyment is still possible.

2 Likes