Limitations of Naim Streamers

With the launch of Amazon HD it’s got me thinking whether a dedicated streamer (in my case a ND5-XS (V1)) is something I should persist with. I’ve connected the ND5 to a Chord Qutest which positive results to my ears at least. But broadly the ND5 is limited in terms of its integration with things like Amazon HD and Roon. Which then leaves me thinking whether to upgrade to the new streaming platforms (probably an NDX2 in my case) or to scrap the ND5 and replace with something such as a Mac Mini (as the renderer), which by its nature will be more flexible and able to integrate with emerging services (at least a some point). I’d keep the Qutest.

Has anyone else had this thought process and what did you conclude? Any any other thoughts from anyone?

Well its early days with Amazon hd, and at the moment they do not seem keen on integrating, let alone with hifi companies. The new Naim streamers are roon ready if that is of interest to you. We should see Qobuz integration on the new streaming platform announced shortly.

If you’re happy with the sound quality of your current system, there are workarounds that can give you access to Roon, Qobuz and other services which it does not support natively.
Trading it in for a new version will make life easier, and should give you a sound quality upgrade too.
Changing it for a Mac does give you that addad versatility, but I would want to have a careful listen before committing.

I had NAS - ND5XS - Hugo
Changed to Mac Mini running Audirvana, USB out - Gustard U12 isolator - Hugo

Mac Mini silent as music store, unlike my old cheap very noisy NAS, and an uplift in sound quality (though not huge). Isolator probably unnecessary with Qutest (but essential USB into Hugo). Audirvana includes Tidal, Qobuz & Hiresaudio integration. If I want to use Spotify, I just switch to that on the MM in place of Audirvana. Ditto if I wanted internet radio stations, or uTube, or anything else. (In reality most of my play is from my own collection stored on the MM, which has twin 1TB SSDs.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.