Linn Karousel bearing announced

My plan will be to take my deck to my dealer and ask him to get as close to set up and possible on >the other deck but with karsouel bearing, as he prob has the most Lp12 on demo in UK he should be >able to get as close as

if better A vs B then press the GO button

Unfortunately that dealer is 140 odd miles from me (assuming you are talking about the chaps in LE7) Otherwise I’d probably do the same. Anyway, not going to worry about it for now. I have to remember I can’t afford it yet anyway even if i wanted it :slight_smile:

Yes, funny that. I plonked mine in and loved it straight away. No down side IMO. Guess I was lucky with system synergy etc.

1 Like

And many highly regarded people do like it. :slightly_smiling_face:

Must admit i went by recommendation with the TPT purchase, and it was fitted on the same day [couple of years ago] as a new Sarum T i/c cable - Urika to 552, and the sheer enormity of the Sarum upgrade kind of overruled any obvious sonic difference i could clearly detect in the TPT fitting, although no complaints here, my Sondek does sound an absolute treat.

So i’m happy to keep an open mind in regards to the Tranquility.

3 Likes

Is it time to Klimb aboard the Linn merry go round, or time to get off?

3 Likes

dont know If I count as one of those but why would you not have TPT fitted, the Karsouel is doing what TP did a few years ago, and still is but I am hoping with all the RHD that Linn have it is an uplift over TPT

the TPT lifted the wieght from the main bearing and thus reduced the noise level, did it change the sound not sure it did but that platter is a heavy beast

as ever lisen and then choice is made for me anyway

I’ve become a cynic about the LP12 post opening mine up to fit the TPT and finding the spring compressions (part due to the heavier Ekos SE) very uneven, this not materially altered when a 180g LP was rested on the platter.

I find it odd that new springs/grommets/washers are included with something new like this given the dealers I’ve spoken to explain they sometimes struggle to get a suitable set of springs i.e. putting a firmer one near the arm. Springs in Linn-land are akin to consumables.

The TPT added a lot of detail to my deck.

Thanks.
Already spoken to my dealer To have a dem sometime soon.
Richard

3 Likes

@FangfossFlyer

Moi aussi.

Call me stupid but I feel this is going to be good.
How good, we’ll see.

Speculation at the minute, but the bearing hole in the Valhalla PCB may perhaps need to ‘grow’ a little to accommodate the new chunkier bearing.

1 Like

My guess is that, all other things being equal, Cirkus + Lingo etc > Karousel + Valhalla

Not sure about that. After all Kore/Keel sits ahead of Lingo in the hierarchy and I’d have thought the bearing was even more fundamental. Moot point of course if you can’t use it with the Valhalla :slight_smile:

Karousel is not compatible with Valhalla

1 Like

Well not with the Valhalla mounted under the bearing hole anyway
There are other places to put it!

Though if your into DIY …and let’s face it …not many Linn owners are… There looks to be plenty of bare board on a Valhalla to open up the hole enough…but not so the Hercules

And one final thought for those undecided LP 12 owners

The cost of the new bearing is 50% towards the price of the (nicer and better) Rega P8
Just a thought…

Incoming !!!

1 Like

Intersting about the DIY possibilities with the Val I’ll have a look at that…

V_R

Nope. Too obvious :slight_smile:

Looks to be plenty of room to enlarge!

Or move to a mose box …

My LP 12 is 35 years young ! although it’s had a number of updates, I wouldn’t even consider changing it for a P8…as for it being better. ? each to their own opinion…

2 Likes

Why one would splash 750£ yet retain a potentially lethal and poor PSU is a mystery to me.
Cirkussed and older decks ,otherwise straight to the bin.

Agreed
Straight to the bin with the Linn
Then off to your Rega dealer for a proper upgrade!!