Linn Klimax Organik?

The explaination to date is the available space inside the Klimax DS3 case is now the limiting factor hence the new larger cabinetry of the Organic product .

1 Like

Well NOT what most expected as it is a TT .Naim have to use up all those old BB1704Kchips before they will make a Statement streamer which will hopefully not be too far off.

2 Likes

Thanks @Russ-R, that would be what I would thought, space is not available within the Klimax DSM/2, so it is a compromise design, not sure the conversion is worth as an upgrade?

1 Like

Not really …. 30k gbp on one box ?

I had the opportunity yesterday to listen to the new Linn Klimax DSM Organik alongside the Naim Audio ND555. The demonstration was enabled by Iain at Audience in Bath. The ND555 was powered with one CD555PSDR and both were played through a NAC282, NAP500 and Kudos S20 speakers. I assume the SuperCap powering the 282 and the NAP500 were both DR spec, although I forgot to ask. I had hoped that the Naim equipment would be the same as I use at home, but unfortunately that wasn’t possible. Once I’d calibrated my ears to the Naim set up, the speakers and room, I was ready to try to assess the differences.

I have found that typically most systems sound OK on relatively simple music, but it’s when playing dense orchestral pieces that they fall over, most often failing to differentiate between instruments, instead (and at the extreme) presenting a wall of sound. My first musical selection was Viktoria Mullova’s recording of Beethoven’s violin concerto because I’d been playing this before leaving home. Most surprisingly, I found the Naim player handled it really well, possibly better than I recall of my own system at home, where I use two power supplies (this was worrying, but read on…). The Linn sounded a touch more refined, seeming to present more space between instruments with a wider soundstage.

Playing Bill Evans’s version of My Foolish Heart from Waltz for Debby, I sensed again marginally greater refinement with the Linn - the brushes used by Paul Motian sounded crisper.

It was with higher energy jazz-rock where the Naim stepped ahead. Playing Pat Metheny’s Offramp, the Naim presented a more integrated performance. The same was so with a selection of tracks played from the Trident Sessions by the Mahavishnu Orchestra.

I played a number of other tracks, jumping between the two players, but my overall feeling was that the difference between the two was marginal, but that margin slightly favoured the Linn, which offered what I describe as a degree more refinement. However, that was when compared with the ND555 powered by just one PS and it was refinement which I recall the second PS brought to my player. It would have been preferable to have powered the Naim with two power supplies (which, ignoring the preamp within the Linn, would have brought the two to the same price level too). But as I mentioned above, the ND555 with one PS did not disgrace itself and seemed as revealing and capable as what I was hearing at home. I was rather surprised by this and asked what esoteric cables and wizardry were going on to enable this. It was then that Iain pulled a curtain to one side to reveal the English Electric switch.

Would I consider swapping the ND555+2xPS for the K-DSM? Probably not; the difference was too marginal and, besides, I’m sure two power supplies (and the EE switch) would narrow the gap or even reverse the standings. And there’s still the issue of the styling of the Linn, which is a taste I have not yet acquired.

At the end of the session Iain took the EE switch off the wall for me to try at home. Plugged in between the existing switch and the ND555 I could tell within two bars that I’ll be ordering one of those!

18 Likes

Good analysis. I attending a similar dem and subsequently preferred and bought ND555/ 2 x 555ps / 2 x EE8.

1 Like

Nice review Clive and looks like you have saved a packet.

I’ve been demoing a Linn DSM, admittedly not a Klimax Organik, and found things better with the matching brand amp. As the KDSM is a preamp also, I would want to compare with a Twin or a pair of Solos. That being said, it will change the presentation, so if the difference in the blues/rock music was a deciding factor, you may have found it a much easier decision. I found the Linn DS with Naim amps had a bit less drive but a bit more detail, not a bad halfway house if you like that sort of thing.

1 Like

A very interesting read Clive.

I was musing earlier whilst walking the dog (and spending someone else’s money) what a Klimax Organic, balanced output into a pair of Statement NAP-S1 power amps, would sound like.

A nice simple 3 box system :grinning:

2 Likes

At that level it will need to be Solos rather than a Twin…Solos are VASTLY better. In my experience, anyway.

1 Like

As well they should be for twice the price. I havent heard them and should probably stay well away if I want to keep my wallet alive.

…indeed, this sort of ability and sound does not come cheap.
I was gobsmacked after listening to Solos (after auditioning a Twin).

2 Likes

Stop it, just STOP :joy:

Very interesting and exactly what I found when I listened to the Klimax.
The differences vs the Nds were the same you noticed between Nd555 and Organik.

I would bid on my entire system that adding the S1 in that set up would be a big upgrade.

Clive, nice write up very interesting indeed. Iain installed a EE switch in my system some time ago an excellent upgrade for the money.

The Audience demo 552 has been rehomed to my lounge and is sounding rather nice in my system ??

…okay, here’s a caveat then…I have a Klimax Kontrol (d), no longer available. So my experience is no longer available. I am a firm believer that a company’s sources are developed using their own amplifiers (and vice versa), so comparisons with individual components are irrelevant.
In any case, what matters is the music.

1 Like

Possibly…

Was the Linn connected via optical ethernet?

Would be unlikely as Clive mentions the Chord EE8 ethernet switch.

2 Likes