Linn Klimax Organik?

Not disagreeing with that especially when I’ve not heard it yet

I’m going to take a listen to one later this week which sits in a Statement system alongside a dual PS ND555 and a fully restored Garrard 301. Speakers are Focal Utopia’s from memory, they got new ones recently.
I’d never spend that sort of money on a box that does what it does, but I have a chance to listen to it with a mug of tea in my hand and an open mind for free!
I’ll take some veils to see if it can lift them or not.

7 Likes

Touché @Mr.M, your report should be interesting, especially with all the splendid repartee.

Had a listen today, did some A-B against the ND555/2x PS555
Full Statement setup with SL IC’s + Focal Utopia Scala
The Linn source is very nice and has a full and analogue like presentation, the openness of the soundstage and instrument separation has an edge on the ND555, overall it does the job as well as an ND555 and in some aspects does some things better or in a more enjoyable way, certainly very vinyl like in how it sounds.
It does all that in one box and looks rather smart as well, in general, not a lot between them as you’d expect at these price points but certainly not thin or sparkly as would be anticipated from a Linn digital source based on previous outings.
Recommend a listen if you can, impressive stuff despite the price!
I think I talked myself in to some new speakers as well today…

10 Likes

That’s very interesting. Thank you. When you were listening to the Linn device, were you using its preamp facility with the Statement power amps, or were you just using the streamer/DAC part of the Linn with the Statement preamp?

I have had a KDS/1, /2, and /3 since 2011. Thin or sparkly it is not. Then again it helps to have it fronted by a 552/500.

My KDS/3 was moved to a bedroom headphone system and a dCS Rossini/Master Clock replaced it in the Naim system - and thoroughly trounced the Linn to boot.

I am curious on the new one - however it is a lot of money to spend when its only use will be with headphones. There should be a rumored upgrade board within the next 12-18 months however it will not bring it to current full spec like the new box. Only the DAC will be replaced with Organik while the streaming and clock section will remain the same. My understanding is that those two sections are responsible for a lot of the increased performance.

Best
Gregg

That is disappointing, so why Linn do it? Is the DAC is related to the streamer’s pre-amp functionality?

1 Like

Super Lumina RCA out to Statement NAC S1

Hi!
I am considering using my KDS/3 as a headphone system as you are. Could you tell me what headphone amp and headphones you are using and comment on their merits?
Thanks
Hans

Thanks. I think I’ll have to listen to it using its own preamp straight into the NAP500. That would make £30k for the Linn one box solution look like very good value compared with the Naim five box solution (ND555+2xCD555PS+NAC552) which retails in excess of £48k.

But then I wonder what Naim will release on 21/6?

1 Like

I run multiple headphone systems.

Stax
80th anniversary L300LE/353XBK amp
30th anniversary 404 Limited
009S w/Mjolnir Carbon amp
“mythical” T2 amplifier commissioned build ready in 6 months

Dynamic
Utopia, Sony Signature Z1R, Grado RS1
HeadAmp GSX MK2, HeadAmp GSX Mini

All fed via XLR from Klimax DS/3

Best
Gregg

2 Likes

Worth a listen, gives the 555 a run for the money.

And £40k will get you the Klimax Exakt Hub with active Akubariks. One wife-friendly box and two speakers vs 7 black boxes on a Fraim plus speakers and full loom! (Already running for cover).

1 Like

I’ve got a foot in both camps personally having both an NDX2 and Selekt DSM. I would say I do find the one box DSM gives a good mix of configurability and upgrade options and avoids any multi box scenarios, any upgrades are within the box itself in that sense!

1 Like

It could get interesting after Naim’s upcoming announcement.

It would be already interesting if we knew……These continuous Apple like announcements and all speculations tend to get me quickly bored.

2 Likes

I’ve talked myself in to some new Kanta speakers to ease the anxiety!

3 Likes

:-). Which ones? Kanta 1’s based off the dimensions of your previous speakers? Regardless congrats!!!

In what colour?

Grey fronts and some sort of wood looking sides?
Kanta 1’s though yes.

1 Like