Linn Krystal tracking weight

Checked, yes, floats just above the record surface. Short test and quick assessment with low volume, but still prefer my low-ish tracking weight compared to 1.75 as a first test…

The arm should be perfectly horizontal not just above the record surface, you are adding some tacking force before you add anything on the dial.

Go online to see if you can find a Technics SH-SDP1 Stylus Pressure Gauge. which is marvellous - it even has a tiny weight, so that you can calibrate the thing. It’s a fantastic little piece of kit. It makes the silly Naim balance thingy that came with the ARO seem sillier still.

The Technics gauges were made yonks ago, perhaps as an accessory to the extraordinary SP-10 obsidian-based direct drive turntable (used by Capital Radio in London, I recall).

There seemed to be quite a few floating round on Japanese websites recently, so eBay in Japan may be worth looking at.

I bought one a long time ago, and have used it for years, but picked up another (from Japan) in the last year or so, as an accessory for the LP12 that Grahams HiFi are putting together for my son.

PS. I’ve just Googled the Technics guage. There are loads online, hovering around the £100 mark - well worth it, in my opinion, for something that will last a lifetime.

looks like a good one…

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.