Linn LP12 Top Plate

It certainly does become more neutral and accurate (Akurate?). If your used to a warmer rose tinted presentation then the Keel can come initially as a bit of a shock, however once I had readjusted my perception, I started getting it and appreciating the benefits . I wouldn’t want to go back.
Of course the good thing, If ones sceptical is that all the upgrades are reversible if not happy.
Any decent dealer should be happy to oblige
:grinning:

2 Likes

The new top Naim streamer and a Klimax LP12 are about the same price. Rough equivalence on both types of product as you go down so, good point!

Stu

I found that the better my Linn got the less digital I listened to. My CDS3 is now almost redundant. Don’t get me started on streaming…

Stu

2 Likes

I’ve owned my LP 12 since 1978 and have many incarnations over the years, arms and cartridges etc. Power supply wise went from the original red switch to Valhalla, Lingo 1 and then Armeggedon.

I used the Lingo from new bought from Studio 99 as the Armeggedon was in production at the time. In the 90’s I went and had a Cirkus installed which I thought was an improvement. In 2005 I bought an Aro having been using 3 Ittoks since 1981, two of them replaced by Linn for bearing failures, the last Ittok was on the deck for 17 years. The Aro to the Ittok is in a different league the music is so fluid and lucid. Just works so well on the LP 12 this is only my opinion but the arm is so much lighter than the Ittok is as much the 3 springs are virtually even. Whereas the back spring is wound right up due to the extra weight of the Ittok / Ekos.

One thing I will say that I always wasn’t satisfied with the Lingo/ Aro so had the Armeggedon fitted in 2006.

In 2014 I bought one of Khan top plates I noticed a subtle improvement. There were no negative about the Khan in my opinion, then when Tangerine Audio was formed I reverted to the Karmen a subtle improvement over the Khan. In 2015 I changed cartridges from the Micro Benz Wood SL to a Kiseki Blue NS. This was a leap in performance to my ears, a stunning combination with the Aro.

In 2016 I retired from work and contacted Mark of Tangerine Audio and had them install their Plateau sub chassis. Not long afterwards they developed the Stiletto which had a built in top plate so I was able to exchange the Karmen.

To my ears my LP 12 has not lost any of its signature it just opens up the envelope. It’s lost nothing but gained in spades, obviously this only my opinion.

Regards,

Martin

3 Likes

Sorry for any misunderstanding I wasn’t referring to you.
Just for clarity, of course it’s all fine and not denigrating anyone. Where I’m taking issue (not with you) is when some people jump on these forums and detail how they have clearly made costly mistakes from taking the wrong approach and go on to make prejudicial and unjustified criticisms of the manufacturer. That’s disingenuous and misleading.

2 Likes

Sorry Stu for any misunderstanding I wasn’t referring to you.
Just for clarity, of course it’s all fine and not denigrating anyone. Where I’m taking issue (not with you) is when some people jump on these forums and detail how they have clearly made costly mistakes from taking the wrong approach and go on to make prejudicial and unjustified criticisms of the manufacturer. That’s disingenuous and misleading.

1 Like

I don’t like the sound of that one bit!

I’ll join you!
I have Allae’s since they were first introduced (I think) no plans to change anytime soon

2 Likes

What with a Lingo 4 (which I fancy), Naim electrics and now… Allaes, this thread is ticking all my boxes. Happy chap :slight_smile:

C.

2 Likes

Lol! It’s still the best CD player I have heard. I just stick to my records.

2 Likes

Which points specifically do you disagree with? Please read everything I’ve corresponded with you here carefully before jerking the knee and resorting to aggressive insults

Dread, Is it time to chill with some good music, and just walk away from the strife?!
Best, C.

1 Like

:wink:

Funnily enuff, I’m still using CD3.5 Flatcap

1 Like

I still use my CDS / CDPS a sublime player most days.

Regards,

Martin

2 Likes

I think you’ll find its you that has gone out of your way to disagree and belittle everything that I have said
As still the only person to actually answer the original question instead of hijacking the subject to bang on about how great the linn 4 power supply is
I was / am willing to leave it there …as per my last post…but no…you have to keep grinding away
How how about you have your l love linn expert opinion…and I’ll have my …wrong parts fitted in the wrong order I must be wrong opinion
I don’t expect to hear more on this subject

The subject on the Cirkus interests me, I was decided to replace the Valhalla by the Lingo4, but my Dealer advised me to update all the bearings before (Cirkus).

I can not bring myself to hear my LP12 sound straighter.

I’m worried that the Cirkus Kit is an open door to spending a lot of money to never be happier…

I was in a similar position to you and was able to borrow a Majik LP12 from my dealer. That was in my Stageline N days so I was fine with the Adikt. A Cirkus was supplied and fitted to my Linn the following week.

Basically, the LP12 is as much of a money pit as you want to make it. Having fitted the Cirkus you can do as much of the other stuff as you want. Or not.

Oh dear Japtim,
You really haven’t comprehended a word I’ve said. Review your comments and my responses. I have not been disrespectful or rude to you, but your aggression, anger and insults as substitute for reasoned discourse is very telling.
I have clearly struck a raw nerve with some home truths. My comments still stand.
As for me being a “Jumped up little twerp”, Well, twerp possibly, Jumped up? wish I could but in my current condition not possible, Little? certainly not ask the missus.
Anyway nuff said, its not fair on the OP and other contributors
Peace n Love
:joy:

Stick some nice relaxing music on and chill out people.
:sunglasses:

I’ve got some food for thought anyway. I’m in no rush so I’ve got time to decide what course to take. :smiley:

3 Likes