Linn Selekt Journey

They are right, at least in my own experience.

I was kind of curious about some claims about ER, EE8, PhoenixNet, etc., even with my background as a PhD in Computer Science and I am fortunate in a sense that I can afford and play around with these stuffs. However, I’ve found nothing better than just some simple network switches and well-constructed, built ethernet cables, the kind of cheapo ones that you can find from Amazon.

As someone here said quite a few times, you would need to pay attention to your RF in your listening env.

2 Likes

That doesn’t surprise me at all. ATC who make my active speakers have a similar view of e.g. balanced XLR cables: go for decent quality, but nothing special. I won’t say more as cable discussions tend to get heated pretty quickly.

Roger

3 Likes

please could you help me how would you use Rega aethos direct input with linn selekt dsm thanks.

1 Like

I am afraid that I am not familiar with the Rega aethos, and I have a Linn Nextgen DSM/3, not the Selekt one.

Maybe @DiggyGun can provide an answer?

1 Like

Sorry, not familiar with Rega products.

Cymbiosis sell both Linn and Rega products, so it may be worth contacting them for advice.

DG…

1 Like

I got it working, mate I just enabled The volume on the Linn Selekt dsm As I had it disabled.

3 Likes

@Higgy

Well done.

Now to sit back and enjoy.

DG…

Using the Rega as a power amplifier and the Linn Selekt DSM The control over the music is fantastic. I just use the Linn volume knob.

3 Likes

Yes, I just skip the analogue pre-amp, feed the signal output from the Linn streamer directly to the amp.
I guess Linn stopped making analogue pre-amps for a reason.

1 Like

This has been a fascinating thread, all the more than I’m also seriously thinking of downsizing from a multi-box Naim solution to a single box Linn.

Currently very happy sound wise with a very solid Naim setup, NC222, 555PSDR, CD5XS, NAP300DR. However, living in a smallish apartment in Hong Kong, I now wonder whether there is a simpler alternative. Only issue is that the 2nd hand market for Naim products here is very small, and selling all my boxes I would take a huge hit (total price quoted for the whole setup including Fraim: £6,000!). Hence my hesitation to pull the trigger.

3 Likes

What is the secondhand market for a Linn DSM.

What features are you looking for with the DSM.

For example, with the Selekt, only the Edition Hub has a headphone socket.

It is a big step, but for me, I found it to be right for my needs, but found other benefits too;

• better sound quality
  • less space taken up by the system
  • less clutter
  • less wiring
  • easy to use

DG…

3 Likes

First job is to check the sound signature of the Linn is to your liking.

As good as the linn is it lacked that “punch” that Naim gives.

I love the idea of one box and less infrastructure but sadly the Linn. wasn’t the answer for me.

Gary

3 Likes

Yes, that’s the plan. Going to the Linn dealer here and asking for a demo. The model I’m interested in is Selekt Edition hub. I like the modularity. If I can’t afford the top of the range model now I can wait until I can with additional purchases at a later stage. And I love the idea of a single box instead of the 5 I currently have.

I listen mostly to classical and opera, therefore I’m not necessarily after the Naim “Prat”. But I like the Naim sound. Have known it for 10 years now.

3 Likes

You have a very nice system and I’d be very hesitant about replacing it with a single box, unless you really can’t live within your space constraints. But …

I do have a Selekt, and my experience leads me to disagree with Gary’s view on Linn’s lack of “punch”. But my version of the Selekt has line level outputs which I feed into active ATC speakers. I presume you’d be using two Selekt power amp cartridges with your Sonus Fabers and I’d want to be sure they deliver high enough SQ to make the change worthwhile. Audition essential!

Finally, I’d strongly urge you to jump for the Organik DAC even if that meant starting with the Classic hub rather than Edition. That’s what led to my move to Linn and is really special.

Roger

4 Likes

The ones without the Organik DAC sound a bit soft in my opinion.

2 Likes

Interesting Roger, I thought the linn had a transparency to die for and it was good enough for me to arrange a home demo but I simply missed that Naim signature sound which I describe as “punch.”

The Linn has a different signature to my ears both quality brands and music preference may play their part.

Through my demos of Linn, Chord and Naim the Naim system was preferable to my ears despite really wanting a simpler solution with less boxes.

3 Likes

Yep. We all hear things differently and have our own preferences. At the end of the day, it’s your ears that count.

3 Likes

When I was changing from ten boxes to one, I found that the Linn sound suited the Jazz that we listen to.

Certainly, plenty of punch and PRaT.

DG…

3 Likes

Thanks Roger for the insight.

I love my system and the way it sounds and to be frank space isn’t that much an issue. However I do love the idea of a single box. In any case, I’m not selling my current set up for £6k. That’s just plain ridiculous. Therefore the Linn might just remain an idea, nothing more.

1 Like

What makes the difference, I think, are the Organik DAC and the ATC SCM40As. When my dealer came round to install the Selekt, I put on Ezra Collective’s jazz/funk Where I’m Meant to be. After about 30 secs of background conversation the drums kick in. Both dealer and I felt the physical force even through the not run in Selekt. (We jumped!)

That’s just my experience of course.

Roger

3 Likes