Linn Selekt Journey

Whilst I’m sure you could get more than £6K for your system (not including your speakers) you might consider swapping your NAP 300 for an NC NAP 250 (possibly pre-loved or ex-dem). There should be more synergy, albeit a different sound, and box count would be reduced by one.

Just a thought, but only a home demo could prove whether this is a step forward and worth it to you.

1 Like

A good point. Replacing the 300DR by the NC250, and selling the CD5XS (I’ve had a good offer) would allow me to reduce box count by 2. I might just do that.

1 Like

A few comments having owned a Selekt DSM and also used it as a preamp with a 200 Series NAP250.
There’s a lot of difference in performance from the configurations within the Selekt modular options. In my case I originally got it to use as a 5.1 Surround amp and ran it that way with an Arcam AVR doing all channels apart from Front L/R. I also ran it in reverse with the Selekt doing rear and LFE channels and used a Supernait for Front L/R.
I later used it as a standalone integrated (5.1, 2.1 and Stereo) and latterly as a preamp to the NAP250.
I used a combination of Standard and Katalyst DAC’s and it was the original chassis and PSU (not Edition version).
I enjoyed it a lot and tested the modularity extensively, mine was fully loaded with 3 amp cartridges, as well as the HDMI switch and Dolby Decode board.
I would say that if you intend to go this route I’d baseline from the Edition Hub and Katalyst as a minimum, with a view to getting to Organik sooner than later, Edition + Organik is where the product makes sense, every other lesser config below that is just a waiting game.
If you don’t have the appetite or funds to end up at an Organik Edition, you may well find a complete 200 Series System offers more cohesive synergy and less options to fettle.
That’s actually where I ended up, partly as the config I’d built with my cartridges and DAC’s became redundant after a house move and was replaced with an NSC222 to pair with the NAP 250 I already had.
I did ponder going ATC active prior to that
but figured I’d have nothing to lose giving the 200 Series a decent try for a year or two at least.
They’re both good setups but quite different in presentation, going from Katalyst to Organik DAC’s making a significant difference in comparing them.
I enjoyed mine a lot, it is easy to configure and setup, fast and responsive and has stable software and control apps, usability is solid. Which you prefer will come down to music tastes and DAC choice (Standard, Katalyst, Organik) mostly I would expect.
I’ve been super happy with my 200 Series setup, If I had a future need for something flexible I’d not hesitate getting another Selekt DSM, Edition Hub + Katalyst as a minimum spec, I’d suggest same to others. It works well as an Integrated and also worked well as a preamp to my NAP250 for a fair while also.

2 Likes

Cable update;

The full loom of CatSnake 6a Floating Ethernet cables has arrived.

Will install tomorrow.

DG…

1 Like

I think that’s what makes discussion of the Selekt complicated and open to possible misunderstanding. We can be talking about such different things!

I had an Auralic pre/streamer fronting my active speakers and then heard the Klimax with Organik DAC. It sounded amazing but was really more than I wanted to pay so moved to an earlier Klimax DSM upgraded to Organik. To my ears the Selekt Edition with dual mono Organik line outs was superior to that and came surprisingly close to the Klimax DSM/3 at half the price. But it’s a very different box from a Classic Edition all-in-one with Standard Dac.

Roger

1 Like

Exactly that sir, its modularity is something of a double edged sword in that sense. Fully loaded, as in Dual Mono Organik with power amp modules or Line Out is expensive.
I got mine not long after it originally came out. It was positioned as more of an entertainment hub type platform hence mine being a 5.1 setup. Linn don’t support that configuration any more. Even I was unusual having such a setup according to my Linn/Naim dealer. It was handy as I could repurpose it easily and not need to keep changing entire systems. I prefer simpler/fewer boxes setups regardless, hence my bias towards products like the NAIT or Atom as examples.
The Classic Hub (which was all there was when I got mine) is a legacy product in many respects. The Edition Hub is the one Linn expect people to aim for and now only for Stereo configurations including Bi/Tri Amp setups.
If I was looking at the cheaper configs again today (Classic Hub + Standard DAC for example) I’d likely look elsewhere, a Uniti Nova or similar. My feeling is almost anyone reading this on here will either own an Edition Hub with Organik DAC’s or want to if they don’t already.
That was the issue for me and the cost involved to max mine out to an Organik spec (mine was Katalyst, still pretty decent TBH). I was able to trade mine in for a brand new NSC222 and it not cost me anything to do so.
It’s a more natural partner to the NAP250 I already had. If I’m desperate to scratch an upgrade itch at some point I can add an NPX300, for now based on my needs it’s more than adequate as a 2 box system (much like my Supernait3 + NDX2 was before)

2 Likes

CatSnake Cable Update;

The full loom of CatSnake Ethernet cable has arrived and been installed.

I must admit that it does look very nice cable from a build quality point of view. It’s a very substantial and thick cable, much more so than the Chord Clearway cables. However, it is very flexible, so very easy to install and position, unlike the Chord SignatureX and Epic cables.

Reading reports about the CatSnake suggests that it takes a while to settle down. So now that it is in situ, I’m just going to let it burn in, knowing that the process could be up and down.

Can any other CatSnake users can provide a guesstimate as to how long it takes to burn in.

DG…

1 Like

Slight aside DG, but related, are you using Kudos speaker cables in your setup?
Be interested to see what you think with those cable changes, I imagine it would sound pretty decent regardless!

2 Likes

No time at all ime.

G

1 Like

That’s good to hear, thanks.

DG…

1 Like

Yes, been using them for a while, even before I got the Selekt.

Was using NAC A5 previously and found it was a good improvement, more control and detail.

DG…

Belkin CatSnake settling down;

The CatSnake has been running now for just over a week.

We now have CatSnake from the Gigaclear Router to the Giagclear Mesh Node to the Netgear GS105S Switch to the EE8 Switch to the EE1 Network Noise Isolator to the Linn Selekt DSM; Edition Hub. Also ran an additional length of CatSnake from the EE8 Switch to the Apple TV Box. (Replacing a CSL cable).

Been playing albums that I’m very familiar with to test the cables. Initial thoughts are that it’s not much different than the Chord streaming cables. Nothing significant, either positive or negative. Certainly, doesn’t sound any worse. To me, that’s good news, given to cost of CatSnake in comparison with the Chord cables.

Also took the opportunity to change the Chord Clearway HDMI (ARC) cable from the TV to the Selekt and from the Apple TV Box to the TV with a 8k Certified HDMI cable.

Some points worth noting;

• So far, I would say the only noticeable change, sound wise, is that the volume is a bit louder.
  • We use an Apple TV Box, that is hardwired and we are now also getting a better picture and the occasional Buffering Notice has stopped.
  • We watch Quest as like some of the car programmes. When we used to watch it on terrestrial TV, the picture was often pixelated and not that clear (put that down to not being a main channel). We then watched via the Apple TV box and the picture quality varied from sharp to blurry. Now the picture is sharp and stable. Appears to be brighter and more colourful.

Whether this was to do with having a mixture of cheap Ethernet and HDMI cables plus Chord cables of unknown spec or, now having consistent spec cables, who knows.

An additional benefit, I was not expecting, from changing the cables.

So to summarise, a bit disappointed that the Chord cables don’t appear to outperform the CatSnake, considering the significant price difference, as I have been a Chord fan for a number of years. But on the other hand, impressed how well the CatSnake comes across. Will continue to monitor the progress to see what else happens.

This leads me on to thinking about the other Chord products that I’m using; the EE8 Network Switch and EE1 Network Noise Isolator. Is it worth investigating other alternates. So more playing to come;

Assuming the set up as; Gigaclear Fibre Router —> CatSnake —> Gigaclear Mesh Node —> CatSnake —> Netgear GS105S Switch —> CatSnake —>

1. Remove the EE1 - CatSnake from the EE8 to the Linn Selekt
  2. Remove the EE8 and EE1 - CatSnake from the Netgear GS105S to go directly into the Linn Selekt
  3. Remove the EE8 - CatSnake from the Netgear GS105S to the EE1, then CatSnake to the Linn Selekt
  4. Replace the EE8 Switch with a new Netgear GS105S Switch and repeat No. 1

A switch is required as the TV is also hardwired. However, is a Network Noise Isolator required, I don’t know. But the above testing should determine that and there are other alternates out there.

DG…

3 Likes

I’ve updated the Thread Title to address some of the recent posts.

DG…

Let’s just call the thread “Linn Selekt”, because this is where all communication to the device takes place
CleDi

2 Likes

How about the Linn NG Organik Klimax? There are some owners here.

1 Like

Apologies if you’ve covered this elsewhere - it’s a long thread and I’m lazy - but just curious to know what made you want to investigate other streaming cables? Were you disatisfied with the Chord cables, was there something specific you felt needed addressing?

Also why the Belden ( you said Belkin, but I can only find Belden CatSnake) CatSnake cables? Any particular reason? I only ask since there are dozens to choose from, both audiophile and not, so why this particular one? Just curious.

I use Chord cables throughout my system, Epic mainly but ethernet is C Stream and my USB cable from the Melco N50-S38 to Qutest DAC is a Chord C USB (formerly SilverPlus). This as you will know is Chord’s entry level stuff but reviews I’ve read seem to indicate that there’s not much to gain from going higher until one reaches Sarum T level, which is very serious money indeed.

1 Like

Sorry, spellcheck, meant Belden.

Will reply with a bit more detail soon.

DG…

1 Like

No problems, hope this explains my thinking behind changing the Ethernet cables.

I wasn’t dissatisfied with the Chord cables and used a number of them including, Clearway, Epic and Signature streaming cables and, Clearway HDMI cable.

Very happy with the Linn / Kudos set up, but have been playing with the peripherals; cables, switches power supplies for a while now, which has been documented.

Following a long chat with Linn about Ethernet cables, they recommended bog standard Cat5e cables. Additionally, on this and other forums, had been reading about BJC and CatSnake Ethernet Cables and the positive reviews and comments that they been receiving. So , I thought that I’d give the CatSnake a go as they are easily obtained in the UK and are not too expensive. Also, they are one of the cables that are fully tested, whereas, Chord cables albeit nice, it’s difficult to find the actual spec of them.

Like you, I have read elsewhere about the lack of improvement with the Chord cables above the Chord-C range until you get into their top end cables. But to do the lengths I needed would have been cost prohibitive, hence the choices I had with my cables.

Upon receiving them, I found the build quality of the CatSnake to be very good and, although the cable was quite thick, it is very supple which helps in its dressing. I also got some Certified 8K HDMI cables.

For information, there is a HDMI Cable Certification App that allows you to check which standard your newly purchased HDMI cable conforms to. Simply scan the Certification Label on the packaging and it will tell you if it is genuine and what spec it is. Chord mention that their HDMI cable is certified. But when you check, it is UKCA Declaration of Performance Certificate for Reaction to Fire and Dangerous Substances.

As previously mentioned, I’m very happy with the sound quality of the CatSnake cables with a full loom from the Gigaclear Fibre Router through to the Linn Selekt. No night and day improvement over the Chord cables, but more importantly, certainly no worse, given the significant price difference between them. Mrs DG couldn’t tell that the cables had been changed.

I’m planning to keep the CatSnake cables as the sound quality appears to be very good and the build quality is excellent at a very good price-point.

The Chord cables can now be moved on to fund these cables and give me some change.

DG…

Thanks for taking the time to explain @DiggyGun - much appreciated. Very interesting what Linn say about using bog standard ethernet cables. I’ve read from someone else here with a Linn set-up that they recommend just a bog standard network switch rather than one of the expensive audiophile types. I would love to know their reasoning.

Perhaps their equipment has built-in design features which make it (relatively) immune to network issues such as noise? In this case one could imagine that specially ‘tuned up’ network switches/cables etc. may potentially interact with this in a negative way. In any case it certainly makes perfect sense to follow the manufacturer’s advice.

The Belden cables look to be very well made. I notice that some have the option of a prefessional grade RJ45 connection which looks interesting.

Anyway it seems to be working out for you and is certainly far cheaper than going the Chord Sarum T or Music route! I would love to try a Sarum T USB cable - but at £2K it’s really not a sane use of funds for my wife and I.

2 Likes

I think Naim pretty much sit on the fence when it comes to fancy ethernet cables and switches. They tend to recommend simple CAT5 and Cisco stuff like Linn. When I was last at the factory I certainly couldn’t see anything fancy in the dem room. There is a rumour that JG uses a patch of Chord Music ethernet for streaming in his own system.

I started off my streaming experience by not being too bothered about anything but have come to realise there’s a lot of performance gain in reducing this so called digital noise. I’m not sure if it’s the transparency of my system but I can hear every cable change, switch change, and power supply I try. Some changes are minor and some are massive. I’d be surprised if Linn are unaffected by these sort of things but if they are all well and good. It would save me a fortune!

4 Likes