Linn Selekt Journey

I seem to recall talk of Naim looking to recruit a FPGA programmer, but I may have misremembered.

Roger

2 Likes

Your memory serves you well.

The role may be needed, hypothetically speaking, for a mythical beast called a Statement Streamer. It must be an April 1st ruse though, unless … :wink:

Best regards, BF

2 Likes

In the age of waste not and conservation this is the route all hifi should take imho. What’s not to like ?

2 Likes

Sorry however I have to disagree with this statement.
dCS have been around longer than Chord…and the companies entire history, and notable contributions to digital, has been based around their writing their own software to use with their own proprietary RING DAC.

3 Likes

Thanks for the correction !

I had forgotten about dCS, being of course a smaller British company with very expensive products way above most people’s DAC budgets including mine. During their first few years I understand their products were for studios and therefore not consumer items. I guess the Ring DAC can be considered a form of FGPA although I note dCS in some forums (headfi) actually try and differentiate their product from a FGPA device.

Chord of course leads the way (imho) with the WTA digital filter approach courtesy of Rob Watts. On a side issue it was interesting to discover that the founders of dCS and Chord Electronics both worked in the aviation electronics sectors before starting their respective companies.
I would still hold that Chord DACs have made had really significant historical and current contributions to audiophile DACs. Hard to beat for most people.

1 Like

FPGA is just a relatively low power processing chip. It is all about what you program it with. Rob watts is very good at PR and giving the impression he has something special with his filters but using hqplayer can yield very good results as well. I can appreciate chord dacs and own one but long term I have found them not to my taste.

4 Likes

Each to their own I guess, always arguments over tec, just look at that for simple stuff like fuses…. Personally I believe Rob Watts, as so many engineers have agreed with his work. That said two economists often won’t agree with anything the other side comes up with :wink:

1 Like

Not saying I don’t believe him, just that he is good at talking his product up (not a bad thing). My problem with chord dacs is very much related to my ears and mine alone😉

3 Likes

Irrespective of whoever first with the FGPA DAC, Linn now come up on top. :wink:

4 Likes

The installation day has arrived.

The Linn Klimax DS/3 Katalyst (Dynamik) and the Naim boxes (Nine) have been exchanged for a Linn Selekt DSM: Edition Hub (Utopik) / Stereo Power Amplifier Cartridge x2 / Organik DAC x2.

The Kudos Titan 606 Loudspeakers are remaining and will be used in the active mode.

Phil and Wayne came down from Cymbiosis to take away the old kit and install the new Linn DSM, so we had a pleasant time doing that. Phil also updated the SO following the recent updates.

Now to let it settle and to start playing with it.

Some pictures before and after.

And for @HungryHalibut, a bit of alteration to the trunking. I’ve thinned the sockets down as don’t need that many now. But I’m pleased to have been able to have three unswitched sockets from the dedicated Hi-Fi mains and one unswitched socket from the original house wiring for the light. Plus managed to get an aerial socket fitted as well in the trunking, so neat and tidy.

The wiring from the TV has also been simplified. Previously, was an optical cable to a DAC, then to a headphone amplifier, then a 3.5mm jack stereo cable to DIN into the NAC 282. Now it is just a HDMI ARC cable straight into the DSM.

Mrs DG loves the new set-up with only one box and also enjoyed herself with the two demo days that we did and selecting the new furniture to replace the Hi-Rack.

I will report back once we’ve been playing with it for while.

DG…

19 Likes

That’s just great, and so much more like a home than a hifi shop. To get an active system in one box is just incredible. Here’s to many happy hours of music ahead.

2 Likes

Very neatly done DG, and just in time for Christmas too. Enjoy the new Selekt DSM and i’ll be very interested in your thoughts on the new setup.

2 Likes

It’s only been playing for an hour or so, but it is so much more detailed. I’m hearing a lot of new bits that I haven’t heard earlier.

DG…

1 Like

@DiggyGun Congratulations on the new upgrade. Wow, that is quite a sweeping change to update the whole (high end) system in such a fundamental way. Looking forward to reading your thoughts as your ears acclimatise to the the new rig.

The more I read about the Linn DSM Selekt and Linn’s approach, the more it intrigues me with its versatility and potential for being improved and updated, and the chassis remaining a constant.

1 Like

@YetiZone

Many thanks. That was one of the things that drew me towards the Selekt DSM, being able to future proof. When there’s a future upgrade, you only have to change part of it, part exchanging it for that new part, not the whole component.

Linn have carried the concept forward from the LP12.

DG…

4 Likes

Yes, very much so in principal - a digital LP12 so to speak! Quite an interesting approach and something I’m going to explore in the New Year. I do like the fact that you can buy in at a basic-ish level and then upgrade in time as funds allow, plus future proof as you say.

1 Like

@YetiZone

Yes, apart from the difference in Enclosure (cost), the next big variable is the DACs and, as you say, you can start off at the basic level and work your way up as funds allow.

Also, who knows what is in line regarding upgrades to the cartridges in the future.

DG…

2 Likes

This is sooo beautiful!

1 Like

Looking good DG. Tell me, is it active or Exakt?

1 Like

Just caught up on this thread, nice journey you’ve taken there @DiggyGun
I can also vouch for the flexibility of the Selekt DSM, I’ve yet to enable Organik on my current setup, instead driving a 200 Series NAP 250 from a Stereo Line Out module with Katalyst DAC, I also have amp modules and the 5.1 processor module to handle a full surround setup (up to 7.1) if needed, a truly agile and lovely sounding bit of kit, enjoy the extra space and lovely sounds!

2 Likes