Linn Selekt Journey

I’d guess it’s been setup to bi-amp using Exakt, you can use up to 3 power amp modules and configure them as Exakt Active as required, all within the DSM itself. You can also mix and match power amp and line out (RCA/XLR) modules if required, the only limitation is you can’t mix Organik DAC’s with the Standard or Katalyst DAC"s but can mix Standard and Katalyst DAC’s (I did that in 5.1 config)

Single-Amp-Selekt_DSM

Bi-Amp-Selekt_DSM

Tri-Amp-Selekt_DSM

3 Likes

Hi @Dave

It’s set up for active as shown in the second picture of Post No. 61.

DG…

1 Like

What were the Naim boxes? What was the total new price of your ex Katalyst DSM with Naim ( if all bought new) and the price of this new Linn one box?
Are the amps modules inside class D ?

You said you have gained details, but was the previous system better on other aspects?

PS: I am not working at the police department :grin:

2 Likes

A lot of questions @frenchrooster but I think the answer will be not better or worse, just different …

1 Like

The Naim boxes were;

• NAC 282 / NAPSC
  • NAP 250.2
  • NAP 250 DR
  • SNAXO 242 (T606)
  • SuperCap DR (x2)
  • Headline / NAPSC
    They were all bought new from Cymbiosis over the years, apart from the Headline which I got from eBay.

The Linn box was;

• Klimax DS/3 (Dynamik) Katalyst
    This was secondhand from Cymbiosis, which I traded my LP12 for.

Initially I was looking to upgrade the Klimax DS/3 to Organik with the free upgrade of Utopik from the current Linn deal, but things changed along the way.

The Amp Cartridges are Class D, 50w into 8ohms

The sound has a different presentation to Naim and there was nothing wrong with the previous sound to force a change. Options were offered during the demos and investigated, leading to where we are now.

I have found the Linn sound to be a bit more relaxed and detailed than Naim, which does seem to suit listening to Jazz which is predominantly the main style of music that we listen to.

DG…

8 Likes

Very appealing @DiggyGun … it makes me wonder if a Rega P8 would fit in such a Linn ecosystem. This could be a massive step forward from my Uniti Nova.

Any thoughts?

Congratulations and well done - a man after my own heart!
As they often say - a picture is worth a thousand words - and your photo going from 9 boxes down to 1 tells it all. The KDS is a great box and I have had mine since 2011 and it has been through /2, /3. and finally the Organik upgrade. Not wanting to part with it and it now resides in my headphone system (a dCS Rossini APEX is in the big system).

Like you I recently moved on from all of my Black boxes (552/500) and am now down to a simple DarTZeel NHB-18NS preamp and DarTZeel NHB-108 amplifier. Two boxes, a whole lot less cables, and soon to disappear fiddly glass and rolling balls racking system.

Simplicity is my new motto.
Enjoy

Best
Gregg

4 Likes

The Selekt has both a MC and MM Phono input, so you could add a turntable quite easily to the Linn ecosystem.

Does the Uniti Nova not have phono inputs?

DG…

1 Like

I will go this route (Selekt Edition Hub with Organik and integrated amp) with my Rega P8. I will consider later whether I will sell the goldnote PH10 with PSU and use the MC input of the selekt. The last tendency when listening was to use the internal MC. So I would say: yes it works with a Rega P8

1 Like

Doesn’t have a phono input

1 Like

2 Likes

Thank you for your detailed answer, much appreciated! First of all, I need to say that I’m very happy with how the Nova is sounding with the P8. But every now and then I start thinking of making an upgrade; no matter how beautiful and good they undoubtedly are, I don’t want to switch to the NC (222/250).

The Linn approach with the seperate modules is very appealing to me … but with Linn electronics, the LP12 is always on the back of my mind - hence the question :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Witch Phono preamp do you have?

1 Like

I’m currently using the Rega Fono MC

1 Like

I use my Selekt DSM with a Rega deck, all fine and dandy. (MM/MC both supported)
I’ve had mine setup in numerous ways from 5.1 with power amp modules to using it as a preamp with my 200 Series NAP 250, I’ve yet to find a setup it won’t fit in to.
When I got mine originally I did consider it alongside a Nova amongst other options and glad now I picked it.
I do have an Atom as well regardless which is currently driving in wall speakers for 2 channel music and TV via ARC.
In my case I still have an Organik upgrade ahead of me and potentially going dual mono organik and using it as a fixed output source.

1 Like

It’s interesting to note that this network streamer is all in one, streamer + dac + mc/mm phono preamp + preamp, and + utopik psu.

1 Like

Yes, it is well stocked with features.

DG…

One thing I didn’t do was to take a photo in the dark of all the Green Naim lights as it was powered on 24/7.

It is strange not seeing a bank of Green lights looking back at you when you walk into the Living Room before switching on any room lights.

On the positive side, the electric bill will go down a bit.

Out of interest does anybody know what the power consumption, per hour of Naim kit is.

DG…

1 Like

Which cartridge are you using with the Linn Selekt? I have an Ania MC…

1 Like

Goldring 2500 (MM)

2 Likes