Linn to Naim 552

Apheta 3…made for the TT?

Absolutely not the same league. I already found the Delos better vs the Apheta. My tastes of course.
The Etna is a 6k cartridge…

…got to love rugby!

2 Likes

I have a Klimax, recently upgraded to current spec with a 500 552. Naims streamers not in the running as they do not to a laptop app like Kazoo, only for phone or ipad, so only can consider others that do. But very happy with the Klimax which I am sure Linn will support for quite a while yet!

1 Like

? Rugby?

…was a reference to France v Wales, which had just finished

1 Like

Did you listen to an Apheta 3.
In any case, if you go for the P10, I would personally avoid shims…I would worry about shattering the ceramic brace. I tried shims an my P9 + DV XX-2 II and found that the sound deteriorated, by just a little. I guess it’s rigidity v perfect alignment.

I have an acoustic signature shim for my Delos and I see no problem. Rega wants to sell more Rega cartridges, so they will always say it’s better to take a Rega cart.
I listened to Apheta 2 , Aphelion 2, and didn’t found it so good. Specially the Aphelion 2 for its price.
A lot of users have Lyra on Rega Rp10 and are very satisfied ( look at audiogon, Steve Hoffman forums and other).
A recent review on the Ear Audio points very significant uplift when using Van den Hull Frog then Condor vs Apheta 3. It’s logical too, if you compare the prices.

The difference vs P9 is that the RB2000 and 3000 can accommodate top cartridges. The RB1000 not.
On tone audio site, they even recommend the Lyra Atlas on the P10.

I did not audition ant alternatives to the Apheta 3. In any case, I would be very careful with shims…no matter how good the shims are, they cannot overcome the laws of physics. The brace will have a level of torque at which it will shatter.
Happy listening, J

1 Like

The most important is how it sounds, with or without a shim, Rega cart or others. Rega himself sells shims.
If you want to extract the most of your P10 one day, i really invite you to look out of Rega cart. You will be very surprised.

I guess that I will need to think about this when the Apheta 3 reaches 1000 hours. I did like the DV on the P9…and it sounded better without shims. We’ll see.
Just listened to Forgotten Rabbit - Painting of a Panic Attack. On vinyl. Brilliant.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.