Lions rugby 2021

Me neither! I just wanted to give you what the Times have been saying, in an attempt to explain Murray’s inclusion.

Maybe he can provide a greater impact off the bench …

Rassie Erasmus is either playing the most perfect week of mind games, or he is making a colossal arse of himself. Can’t quite work out which it is. Even Kolisi is now saying he wasn’t “respected” by the officials in the first test. Looking forward to the game though.

1 Like

How has not been charged by world rugby for this desperate outburst? I am sure Gatland could have found a similar number of ‘wrong’ decisions. Rugby laws are not black and white. Good motivation for lions and the match officials will not want to bend to his ranting. Hope lions stuff them.

1 Like

He thinks he’s doing the former - but is only achieving the latter

Needs to be charged with bringing the game in to disrepute and for being a prat

Pete, if you’re are watching, you’re getting VFM given they’ve taken > 60 minutes to play the first half – with several unexplained breaks in play.

I’d like to think a game of (proper) running rugby will break out in H2 but I fear not.

I stayed awake till half time, was hoping to get some rugby but it was to be.

Well, the Lions were simply over-powered in H2 and leaked a couple of tries due to the pressure but, the display apart, it was one of the worst games I’ve ever watched due to:

1- constant & unnecessary breaks in play, with water carriers flooding the pitch at every opportunity, set-pieces taking ages to construct (on what is a poor pitch for rugby given its sandy base), the TMO reviews taking ages, with many bouts of fisticuffs & handbags throughout. Kolbe was a very lucky boy x 2 IMO.

A few more yellows were certainly justified IMV, which could have kept the game flowing and cut out a lot of the nonsense - the SH refs seem to be a bit more tolerant of high-shots.

2- another kick-fest from both teams, which turned the game in to another 5th-tackle rugby league-style game. Here’s a thought, why aren’t the defending team be allowed to catch the ball unimpeded, which would remove so much danger from the game and also dissuade teams from kicking high and make them aim for grass(?).

If this is the model of play the lawmakers want for the game (as demonstrated by England too), then (I’m sure) many will be turning away from rugby XV’s. Better to watch the 7s.

Rugby used to have its checks & balances, whereby a big & immobile team like SA could be challenged by a fleet-footed team with a bit of creativity (e.g. Japan @ RWC 2015) using the space on the pitch to run the former ragged, creating fatigue in the process. Sadly, no longer, what with the multiple subs (why?) and the sloth-paced games such as this one.

My specs may be rose-tinted but if the lawmakers really want to make the game to flow and be safer, they really need to think on the model of play they’re encouraging.

4 Likes

There’s so much sport on tv that I couldn’t be bother hanging around any longer, it’s just boring kicking and kicking (and fighting of course). It’s wasn’t the kind of rugby I like to watch. Some of Kiwi friends think that SA play a NH type game now that isn’t that attractive.

Hope the 3rd game (is there a 3rd) is much better but I don’t think I’ll stay up to watch though.

If the upcoming bledisloe series turns into that style of rugby , I’m done with it as a sport

So hopefully not - Aus and NZ want to play a fast flowing game but there are so many 4ukes now that go against it

Rules - that was

If rugby turns to that I won’t bother watching any. I did only see the first half but it was horrible.

I missed the match, and reading the descriptions in the media I am not sure I am too worried about catching the ‘highlghts’. Sounded like a very ugly match in a variety of ways.

A nasty atmosphere between these teams now on and off the pitch. SA quite happy to play this ultra combative, but to me very dull Rugby. I am not sure that the Lions have the firepower to out-do SA at their own game. It did not work for England in the RWC Final (although they seem to have stuck to this style since), and most other teams have failed against SA too. Maybe they have to trust to a bit of invention (if they can secure the ball).

I am not hopeful for this change of tactics, or indeed the win. What money on Finn Russell at 10, Rees-Zammit getting a game and maybe Faletau or Simmonds at 8? Taidhg Beirne deserves a start I would think? I’ll wager that Gat will actually play Farrell at 10 though so more of the same. Two static breakdowns = kick to compete. Repeat.

Bruce

2 Likes

Bruce spot on - and the highlights really aren’t up to much at all

I agree. Finn needs to be the fly half to do the unexpected and Watson at 7 to get some turnovers.

2 Likes

Entirely agree, something is missing these days, it’s simply not the sport it once was.

Think I’ll stick to watching Rugby League.

1 Like

It wasn’t pretty but it wasn’t that bad :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I wouldn’t go that far

1 Like

6 changes for the last SA v Lions game but no real changes in game-plan signalled:

British and Irish Lions: Warren Gatland makes sweeping changes for third Test - BBC Sport

Per the events in H2 of the 2nd game, if you don’t/cannot compete with SA’s forwards, you are going to be over-powered, shipping pens and territory. So, I think the reality is, the team for Saturday was never going to change that much e.g. by playing Simmonds, Smith, LRZ et al.

1 Like