Lions rugby 2021

It was the pre match crap that put me to sleep. With Stan Sport (Aus) when the hoist broadcaster goes to an ad they just show a frozen screen.

Another option for me, as I grew up listening to their commentary- is to watch the game but stream the commentary from BBC Radio 5 live ( sports) , on balance they do know what they are talking about - and of course no advertisements

2 Likes

And the half time dribble ( I’ll call it that ! ) is even worse

A couple of ex AB’s in there who come accross badly on the big screen

1 Like

Got the same problem with the 100 (cricket) too many games and not enough decent commentators to cover all of them.

Tbh I prefer to listen to music and watch sport except when Rory and HG are calling.

Yep they are the best especially when call the state of origin , not sure they do that any more

Don’t think they’re call the State of Origin for awhile, it was funny watching and listening to them, half the time you had no idea of what they were calling. Damn funny.

Yep - I use to turn the TV game commentary down and just listen to them, it was the best . Mind you they couldn’t get away today with some of the things they use to say as everyone has lost their sense of humour :cry:

1 Like

They still have a show on the ABC on a Saturday afternoon, Bludging on the Blindside.

I didn’t know that - thanks

Don’t understand why Murray is preferred to Price at scrum half for the second test.

To attempt to precis the Times’ coverage of recent days, Murray’s controlling, box-kicking game is preferred to Price’s inclination towards attacking, running rugby. The paper is saying that Gatland has worked out that the way to beat the Springboks is to play them at their own game, a kind of ‘anti-rugby’ though they may not have called it that. That’s the gist.

I don’t think Price performed that well in the 1st test - so a change is reasonable

1 Like

Sky ran a prog last night about the SA team at the RWC (it’s probably on a loop given the dedicated channel!), which I caught some of and ‘anti-rugby’ (for the purists) is just what it is. Against Wales in the RWC semi, it was a case of constant kick & chase from both sides, with Wales relying on their suffocating defence to win pens – with SA following this model. There was also a bit of coaching chat about physically hurting the Welsh players, as part of a war of attrition. Not very pleasant to my ears.

Of course, one can only win this way with solid discipline and a compliant ref.

I cannot remove thoughts from my head that the game’s lawmakers have much to answer for in the way law changes (offside in particular) have enabled (almost promoted) this model of playing.

2 Likes

Are the Lions playing tomorrow?

Pete – yes, 5 pm UK time.

…don’t fall asleep this time (even if 2am your end?) although, if the kicking game is the same, I can understand events may become a tad soporific.

1 Like

Looking forward to the verbals stopping, and play starting. Good grief, I thought Eddie J was bad…

Bruce

1 Like

He is. :grin:

Bruce, indeed.

How does it go ‘How to win friends and influence people’ (not!):

South Africa v British & Irish Lions: Rassie Erasmus complains about refereeing in video monologue - BBC Sport

Perhaps one should rewind to an infamous WC match involving Scotland and a SA ref!!

Strange. I thought Price’s box kicking was better than Murray’s on the whole, but I wouldn’t call myself an expert.