LISTENING EXPERIENCE for linear ps and switches

New contender, comes already with its matching linear ps.
Russ Andrews switch. 989 GBP. 60 days trial/ return possibility on Russandrews .

![image|500x500](upload://7qsb8KOJWXxKNnk5WXMtADbZSQc.jpeg) ![image|690x266](upload://fcnsHiTmj3PXvwXNwDTaSLW8Od4.jpeg)

Looks interesting. I believe the RA The Supplier PSU is a SMPSā€¦

I hope itā€™s a linear ps.

The Network Switch features a separate dual-output PSU. One output feeds the Trichord clock and the other, on an isolated, dedicated feed, is linked to the switching side of the unit. The PSU connects to the Network Switch via a 0.3m lead made using Kimberā€™s PBJ cable and with locking connectors at both ends. ( from the audiophile man site)

Take a look at their power supply page. Theyā€™re all SMPS, which isnā€™t the end of the world, though I generally have more faith in traditional LPS designs with big toroidal transformers.

Here the specs. If you are right, itā€™s expensive for what it is.

8 RJ45 gigabit ethernet ports with additional shielding and damping
Custom, matching ABS cases with blue power indicators
Re-clocked with custommade Trichord clock
Custom Russ Andrews The Supplier DC with dual voltage output
Internally wired with KIMBER KABLE
4mm grounding socket
Panasonic audiograde capacitors in circuit
Russ Andrews 0.3m DC link cable made with Kimber PBJ and locking connectors
Supplied with 1m YellO mains cable
Made from impact and fire resistant UL-90-V0 ABS
Two Year Warranty
Dimension of each box: W:187mm H:47mm D:130mm

Difficult to say. Probably worth a listen. They seem to have put a lot into getting the best out of the clock, which I am sure has paid dividendsā€¦

Hi Peder
Have any of your group tried PoE Cisco (i.e. no direct PSU on last switch) - e.g. vs your Cisco with homemade LPS?
Jim

The 2go 2yu combination has an added advantage of portability - you could take the 2go with your entire music collection to enjoy travelling just by adding a Hugo and decent headphones, with true hifi quality!

Yes thatā€™s true - I still have a Hugo and my Audeze cans.
Haven;t used them since lockdown started

My MCRU ps has opened and all took another dimension.
My speakers, when the sound quality of the album is there, have completely disappeared.
All is so surfooted , easy flowing, dynamic and soft in the same time.
I am really impressed at how a linear ps on a switch can elevate the sound in a so important way.
If you have a source like Ndx2/ 555dr, Nds/555dr, Nd 555, Dcs Rossiniā€¦and Etheregen or English electric switch, donā€™t go for a little linear ps as Sbooster, Uptone lp 1.2.
You will have a real and impressive improvement with something like Paul Hynes Sr7, Sean Jacobs with mundorph capacitors, Uptone Js2 or MCRU pinnacle.
Your source will be considerably uplifted.

Adding recently the Melco N1z2, and now ER/ MCRU, I have a wonderful source, my Nds/ 555 dr gained a very high level of musicality.
From Nds/555 dr / Cisco ( without the ER/ MCRU/ Melco n1z2), to the present source, itā€™s like going from a Cd5xs to Cdx2/xps dr. I had both and remind myself of the differences.

5 Likes

Does it have the same effect with all these different streamers and the DCS DAC?

My point was to say if you have a top streaming dac, I recommend stronglyā€¦

1 Like

The effect is unlikely to be the same as the underlying hardware and interfacing between the old and new streamers is very differentā€¦
Now clearly some aspects will affect some more than others depending on applications on the users home network, but for many people and their home networks switches supporting IGMP snooping is potentially going to provide a worthwhile benefit in reducing uneccessary streamer processing noise , in my experience it sounds like a diluted version of WAV vs FLAC.
I do recommend anyone with home a LAN with several users/family members, apps and home automation, when using a switch that connects to their streamer that it supports this functionality, ideally at least at v1 and 2. The switch vendor will (Should be!) be able to confirm.

The Cisco Catalyst devices I have seen support this out of the box with no user configuration required.

2 Likes

It is amazing the difference with a good LPS, isnā€™t it? Iā€™m also a very happy bunny.

1 Like

But if you havenā€™t heard it with Chord 2Yu+2Go+Blu2+DAVE how can you be sure? Will it sound as good as a CD played form Blue? Will it sound as good as music played from 2Goā€™s SD card? Will it sound as good as asynchronous USB? Will sound as good as the isolated wireless network 2Yu+2Go can create? So many questions, but unless you have tried it, can you really say?

I think one fact is sure - youā€™re enjoying having it in your system. Iā€™d have gone for a very quiet SMPS, but if going for LPS then MCRU is good source and unlike one of the suppliers you mention deliver soon after you place the order rather than some time before the universe ends.

Are you using the audiophile UPS from Power Inspired for your NAS? They are very well made in Bicester. Oxfordshire UK. You can read all it about it here.

Which were the bigger lps you tried ?
When I had 4 years ago the tp link mc converters, I found also improvements going from Ifi power to Israeli to Uptone Js2 on it.

Tiberio, of course I canā€™t be sure. Itā€™s my opinion only.
For now 10 members are enjoying more the English Electric switch and some the Etheregen, preferring to their last switch, often a Cisco.
Adding an lps is a worthwhile uplift, a lot have reported in other forums.
As for Nas, I donā€™t have one. Only a Melco.

And may be different between implementations of Naimā€™s new platform, And also between those and other manufacturersā€™ products. That was exactly my point in querying FRā€™s sweeping statement.

From the different experiences cited with the same switches in the old ā€˜maniaā€™ thread I would have thought it would be very cvident thst you canā€™t assume one streamer or DAC will respond in the same way, or that differences in different network setups may make a difference to what switch sounds best! Certainly that seemed very obvious to me.

I agree, but there are so many now on different forums who have observed important uplift in sound with audiophile switches as Sotm, Etheregenā€¦and the majority reported improvement still with linear ps.
The sources were very different.
To be 100% sure, only one way: try it yourself.