London Grammar - Californian Soil

Saw that one, what’s on the 10"?

The title track is a grower for me. Her voice using a higher range or at least with a gentler style on Missing really captured my attention, but other aspects of the mix were not synergistic. I sense Hannah Reid could do with a solo female vocalist side project as her voice is incredible and she has so much to potentially offer with other styles.

1 Like

Yes I bought this on the strength of the title track I have the plain black vinyl copy but not played it yet. I have the 45rpm debut which I really enjoy but the 2nd LP was just a poor copy of that one I ended up selling it for double what I paid for it so no complaints.

@Alley_Cat apparently some extra tracks, but not sure if they are new ones or just remixes. Will post here what they are when it arrives. I saw on you tube they are doing live concert at 7pm uk time on Sunday as well if anybody interested.

1 Like

Have played the album about 5 times in totality yesterday (had the day off and was doing things round the house and garden).

Currently have played the cream/yellow vinyl and the CD. Waiting for the box set to turn up today.

After first couple of listens it was in the “great vocals but other than a couple of stand outs a bit bland”, however on further plays it has grown on me.

I’ve mentioned elsewhere that the added “pops and clicks” into the mix had me cleaning the record until I played the CD, particularly don’t see it adds anything to the opener.

Think it will be a grower and sitting in the 7/10 category at the moment. There’s some added fragility to Hannah’s vocals now to contrast the power.

Sound quality seems significant better on vinyl than cd to me (and not because of the whole vinyl vs cd debate), vinyl has greater dynamics when compared to more flat / compressed cd copy. Much more pronounced difference than usual between two formats.

Personally I think it is really good album.

1 Like

I am having issues downloading the free digital that came with the vinyl - anyone else having the same issue - enter code on web page and nothing happens

Not blown me away in Tidal. Two LG albums will be enough for me. Thus one feel patchy. Overblown and rather murky production in places too I think.

I’d like to hear what her voice could do in a solo, or at least simpler, setting.

Bruce

5 Likes

Having listen to it now its pretty dull and average sounding no standout tracks at all compared to previous albums. Title track is the best but it’s a 3rd rate Teardrop copy IMO. Don’t like the mastering either its way too compressed, not getting the clipping on vocals that was on the last album though. listening to the 24/44.1 it has little dynamic range all in your face and sounds flat. They seem to have gone overboard for orchestra strings to give it more emotional depth but to me it fails.

1 Like

Loved the first album, didn’t enjoy the second, but took a punt on the signed pre-order when I heard the couple of tracks from it that came out in the Autumn.
I’ve played it through a couple of times and have to say I did really enjoy it.
Maybe not as many stand outs (at the moment) but overall, a good listen.

Seems like it’s polarising opinions :slight_smile:

1 Like

I find London Grammar too produced. There clearly is a big marketing thing behind the group.

The next production will have something todo with Australia or NZ because that sells.

Interestingly I can’t remember many similar threads and this must have been a hugely anticipated release, though the few tracks I heard prior to release did not really do it for me.

A lack of any reviews on Amazon is a bit odd a day after release, and all those on iTunes are pre-release.

‘If You Wait’ the first album is one of my favourites in recent years, her voice is excellent, and I’d recommend giving it a whirl, I think you’ll know within a track or two if you like it. The title track and Nightcall are probably the ones I regard as favourite tracks, but every time I listen theer are so many tracks I like. More than the sum of its parts.

Hi all

I’ve been looking forward to this for so long, even got frustrated when they kept moving the release date.
1st album: as soon as I heard it thought it was amazing & got it.
2nd album: one or two tracks ‘did it’ for me; glad I was not the only one that noticed it didn’t ’sound’ as good as the first.
This album ( first play, CD): nothing stood out & wasn’t overly impressed, time may tell.
Agreed with the majority: her voice is outstanding

I think the expectation for this one was quite high because the second one was a bit of an anticlimax in comparison to the first.

Many people I know who like this band also like The Xx/Jamie x and given how good their second album was this compounded things for the second LG release falling short.

I’ve got hopes for this one being a grower, with the decent weather I’ve had it piping into the garden yesterday and today and letting it creep in rather than sit down critically and listen to it.

Feels like some nice escapism, which could be good for these times and the weather has turned up at the same time. Will be enjoying a cold one later in the garden with the Bbq and Hannah and her mates are invited, reckon it will be good combi.

Another band who’s releases have often overlapped with LG is Daughter, so if anyone listening to these have missed them give them a listen, not as upbeat but hauntingly beautiful.

Perhaps some people are listening to this album as an audiophile with the relevant audiophile hat on observing sound quality and production , rather than listening to the songs themselves, the lyrics and meaning etc.
Just a guess and suggestion.

3 Likes

Well I just pressed the little white star and removed it from my favourites, found a recent video of theirs on YouTube, it’s equally awful. I find their direction after the iconic first album a bit strange, even the album art of the last two are a bit dodgy IMO. Anyway, the first album will always be there to enjoy.

I have all Daughters albums, all very good including the soundtrack they produced. They are far more atmospheric and darker than LG are or would ever be. The XX too have grown with each album, there last surpassing even their stunning debut.

1 Like

Nope I just listen, if the album doesn’t grab me then you start to notice the other things more. Just doesn’t pull you in like the first album or even the second it’s just mediocre, not bad, not good just ok.

2 Likes

I enjoyed the XX’s last one but I didn’t think it compares to the first two.

They were truly awesome live a few years ago at Hatfield House, the atmospheric weather just adding to the whole thing.

I did really like both Jamie XX’s solo efforts.

Daughters sound entirely in keeping with their record label, 4AD, who always do dark better than most, the live at Air studios is stunning.

ExRe solo album also a favourite here.

1 Like

I’ve just listened all the way through for the first time. Thought the album started and ended very strongly - the title track is really great, as are are the final three tracks. It’s quite a long album though - would have definitely been stronger for dropping a couple of the weaker middle tracks.

In terms of sound quality, it’s a mixed bag. Some of the tracks sound great, some of the others less so. All My Love sounded absolutely awful though - really distorted. Don’t know who thought the production, mixing and mastering choices on this track were suitable. For me, the songwriting, production and engineering/sound quality are equally important - in places this album is good, but not so good on these fronts in others.

1 Like