Long-gone, once-had or childhood system pics

The joys of making C90 ‘compilation’ tapes!

G

6 Likes

Probably later than this my parents had a Panasonic equivalent…we thought it was the Bee,s Knee,s as they say. Then Uncle Dave bought the first separates system in the family…a Goldring Lenco deck, Goodman,s amp, wharfedale speakers…all in lovely wood. Xmas I would plug-in a headphone and listen to Floyd…happy days.

When I was about 8 my dad had a similar unit, from Fisher. I remember going with my parents when he bought it at a department store. It was a big purchase for him but it made him very happy. Having that in the home really opened up my interest in music. He bought a cassette deck a short while after, and I started borrowing friends’ albums and taping them. That got me listening to a lot of music.

I found a photo of that Fisher long ago online, but can’t seem to find it again.

Many systems over the years, starting with a Bush portable cassette player and a Pye record player (from Argos) and a Grundig Melody Boy 1000 radio in the mid 70s which I moved on from to this system by the end of the seventies;

For the sharp-eyed, this comprised a Sansui SR-222 MkII turntable (fitted with Ortofon VMS20E cartridge), JVC JAS-11 amplifier, JVC JT-V11 tuner, Hitachi D-75s cassette deck and some unknown speakers that I can’t remember (anyone know what these are?) on home made speaker stands (covered with orange fablon!). Headphones (pictured on the speakers) were the Sennheiser 414s with the famous yellow ear pads.

For some reason I thought the large VU meters (bought second hand from a surplus electronics shop in Tottenham Court Road) looked cool - ahh, the naivity of being a teenager!

A brief dalience with a Strathearn STM4 Electronic Servo direct drive turntable (made in Ireland and costing £25 in a bankruptcy sale in Tottenham Court Road) ended when I dropped it on the floor!

Early 80s saw me sell all my records and buy a A&R A60 amplifier, Acoustic Research 18BX speakers from Billy Vee in Lewisham and a dodgy Trio DP-750 CD player from Laskys! Definitely not source first!

In 1994, I upgraded to a Audiolab 8000S amplifier, Marantz CD-63 MkII KI Signature, Nakamich BX-125 cassette deck and B&W CDM-1 speakers on Kudos S100 stands. I still have the speakers (part of my A/V system).

From there, onto a series of A/V systems with Pioneer 5.1 amps, Pioneer disc spinners and the B&W CDM-1 (now accompanied by a centre speaker and a second pair of B&W CDM-1 speakers for the rear). The Nakamichi deck was sold off in 1997.

This kept me going until my first Naim purchase in 2012 - NDX with Supernait and B&W 804D2 speakers. I’d first seen Naim at the Bristol HiFi show in the early 90s and had aspired to Naim ever since.

The journey from there is in my bio up to my current system (ND555/2 x 555DR/ 552DR/ 500DR/Uniti Core/ B&W 803D3/Super Lumina ‘full loom’/ PowerLines/ Fraim).

I still also have my separate A/V system, now fronted by an Oppo 205 disc spinner, LG OLED TV and Pioneer SC-LX85 A/V amp (from 2011).

Lots of fun, a few regrets (Strathearn turntable and the Trio CD player!), but music aplenty!

ATB. George.

8 Likes

3 Likes

This is the system of my parents of the 80s and my first perceptions of music. It was a magic cupboard that has been sealed in my mind to this day.

2 Likes

My first TT…

images

12 Likes

Super thread, I grew up listening to these…