Long wall vs short wall

I’ve played around with similar proportions and found the listening position across the room was far too close to the speakers. Down the length much better.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing the results of this expt.

Just waiting for some curtains to be fitted, then I can get the hifi out of storage and installed and report back. Should be fun trying out the different layouts.

The room definitely needs some heavy curtains and a few canvas pictures putting up to help the acoustics.

I have my speakers on the long wall and my system on the short wall.
On the long wall speakers can breathe more , the wall is solid, and there are no corners reflection problems.

1 Like

With my bay window, curtains fully closed kills the highs, fully open and there’s too much. Half way is just right.

1 Like

Surely it depends on the speakers. I ran my previous PMC Fact standmounts firing across the room. When replaced by active sealed box ATCs which were initially sited in the same position, there was a bit too much bass and moving them (no small task) to firing down the room allowed a position further from walls. To my ears this gives a more convincing image of musicians playing just beyond the end of the room.

Have to say aesthetics comes into it too. I do like looking out into the garden as I listen, which only works with the current position.

Roger

2 Likes

Very much with you on that PeakMan. ATB Peter

Same here, although it’s usually raining!

Can someone clarify if the distances quoted for rear wall clearance relate to the back or front of the speaker.

Loudspeaker discussion convention is that it is front baffle of speaker to wall, but it is not uncommon on here for people to refer to distance from back of wall!

1 Like

My own experience is very similar to @Suedkiez , whom I gave a like because he saved me from writing pretty much the same things.
In my current room I have to use a short wall setup, otherwise the speakers would block two doorways. My favourite setup puts the speakers on the long wall, halfway into the room, approximately a quarter of the rooms width away from the sidewalls. The listening position is at the back wall. In my old room this setup not only produced by far the best sound, the speakers were clear of any usual way though the room, like from door to balcony on the short side or a window in the long wall.

1 Like

Across the room worked well for me with Linn Kan’s 72/140 back in the day.
Firing down the length of the room didn’t suit the speakers/room at all.
I guess it’s both speaker and room dependant.
My NBL’s currently fire across the room too but, it’s impractical to position them firing down the room anyway.
They do sound terrific!

I think with small speakers, across the room may be better (quasi near-field), whereas for larger speakers (or anything with bass) down the room always worked better for me.

1 Like

I would make sure your room is organised around your lifestyle … enjoy the space. The hi-fi should fit in … perhaps not optimally …
but optimised the best you can. Sounds like the long wall would give you more flexibility.
Ignore the above if you have the luxury of a dedicated room…

1 Like

For some people (I am one), lifestyle has always revolved around music, so getting the music right is key!

I’ve had the same (big floorstander) speakers play down the length of a 16’x11’9 room and across a 24’x12’ room, as well as in wider rooms with less constraint, and both worked well, though the across room setup required absorption on the wall at head level behind me.

4 Likes

Update -

after a lot of different speaker positioning, ended up choosing the short wall. I think the room was just too narrow to make the long wall work and the sound was very ‘busy’

Put a large bookshelf behind the speakers and have finally got some curtains, which has calmed the acoustics a little but still need to reduce the echo. One long wall is completely bare so considering some GIK panels or possibly another bookcase.

1 Like

I’ve always endeavoured to keep things symmetrical for my system, especially the speakers where they are positioned. Every unbalance in my set-up usually results in mayhem.

Have fun exploring!

1 Like

Aye! :sunglasses:

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.