Loosing albums on U serve

Super frustrating! But the U Serve has been good to me for a long time. Not ready to give up on it yet…

I’ve never used the desktop app before but have given it a go and that has come to nothing too. On a Mac the browser tab says “Naim Hard Disk Player” but the webpage itself is blank. A Windows machine goes one better. The page is not blank but just says “This plug in isn’t supported”. A victory for Microsoft?

I think the missing albums are in a share. I only ripped CDs - I haven’t really explored hi-res files. The rips went straight into a “medium res” folder and that folder’s contents aren’t visible.

Assuming that this folder is a share whereabouts on n-serve can I remove it and then add it? On n serve all I can see is the name of the serve, the ip address of the U Serve and “Naim HD Player”. I don’t see how I can remove and add an individual folder like my medium res one.

I used to struggle with the puck on my CD player so perhaps streaming was ambitious…

This will be because Adobe have abandoned Flash, so it no longer works. See here for an alternative way to access the so-called browser interface:

Of course there is also N-Serve for Mac, but when setting up network shares, music stores etc. the browser interface is your best bet.

1 Like

Thank you very much ChrisSU - a handy tip! Unfortunately I get the same result with a blank page. I’m beginning to think that situating the U Serve near the teenager’s PlayStation may have been a bad idea and that a yanked power cord out of the U Serve one too many times might have upset it. Off to the dealer I think…

In Unitiserve jargon, there’s a ‘network share’ which you would only use to store music other than CDs it has ripped itself. These go into a ‘music store’ where you see them in the MQ folder.
If you are using a music store on a NAS rather than the US internal hard drive (if it has one) you or your dealer will have set this up at some time in the past.
One way or another you really need to connect to the US via one of the Naim user interfaces to see what is going on. Are you saying that none of these work - including N-Serve for Mac, N-Serve for iOS, the browser interface, and the Windows DTC? If so then it may be that the drive itself has a problem.

What happens if you log into the Synology NAS? You should be able to browse the music folders there, then you will at least know whether or not they are intact. If they are corrupted you may need to restore from backup or replace the drive. If everything is in order that points to an issue with the US.

Solved! In the end it was just a matter of going into the N Serve desktop app and disconnecting and reconnecting the Network Serve and Network Stores as JonoB and ChrisSU and others have suggested. It was my lack of ability around using N Serve that was holding me back but Jonathan at Real Music in Wellington came to the rescue. They are superb dealers (not of Naim any longer sadly) - supportive and friendly. Thanks to all the posters - I hope the OP solves their problem shortly.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.